Thursday, December 27, 2012

Week Thirty-Four: Leftovers - Squirrel Nut Zippers - "Suits are Picking Up the Bill" - Perennial Favorites


That's right, my dearest blogland companions, you're getting a week's worth of leftovers... If you ever got around to reading the Introduction to this blog, you might remember that I mentioned that I had a precursory blog to The Soundtrack of a Heartbreak Beat that I was indirectly forced to shut down by my employer. However, I still have lots of fun posts on that one that are kind of hanging in limbo, so I'm transferring a few of them over for your viewing pleasure. Don't worry, though, I'll be back with more fun & fresh posts in 2013!!!
~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#



The Squirrel Nut Zippers are that loveable 1920s/30s swing-inspired band that found fame in the late 1990s. The person whom I most associate with this band is Natasha.

Now, before I tell you about Natasha, I must rewind a bit and tell you about Hot Topic – yes, Hot Topic – home of goth-in-a-box. Many of you may not know (or even care) that the very first Hot Topic that opened up in the DFW metroplex was in Vista Ridge Mall in Lewisville around 1997. How do I know this? Well, I'll be happy to divulge that information.

Natasha was sent here from Las Vegas to open this very first Hot Topic in DFW. She was also given the task of hand-selecting the flagship crew. Natasha saw my friend, Jason, and me at a party and decided that she must have us both. Jason jumped on board right away, but I was more hesitant. Don't get me wrong – I HATED waiting tables at Applebee's, but I also wasn't thrilled about driving to Lewisville from Denton five nights a week for minimum wage. Ultimately, I declined the offer to sell my soul to the retail demons, and it's a good thing I did because I don't think I would have ever been able to forgive myself for working there.

Nonetheless, from what I was told, Natasha listened incessantly to the Squirrel Nut Zippers. I wouldn't know... in this case, it is safe to assume that she and I were never BFF's. She was quite offended that I was the only person she selected who chose not to take her up on her offer to be employed by her establishment.

I'm also including another favorite by SNZ called "Hell"...


In a line at the cafe
I overheard the waitress say:
"These cats is broke, I knows 'em 
Throw 'em out the doors and close 'em
Get 'em outta here"
Spirits sagging, funds are low
This occupation has got to go
Up pulls a limo, up goes a thrill
The suits are picking up the bill!
It's alright for them to tag along
It's just one bill they're tacking on
I'll find some way to get along
The business suits to the rescue
So nice doing business with you
You will really ape and clown when you realize the dough they're shelling out
For the deal!
The suits are picking up the bill
I cannot see from where I'm standing
My friends have passed out on a landing
Guess one too many has left us high and dry
I'll be feeling down 'til the suits get back in town





No comments:

Post a Comment