Thursday, January 30, 2014

Week Ninety-One: Workout Tunes - Cheap Trick - "I Want You to Want Me" - In Color

Many years ago, I invested in a Sansa/SanDisk/SlotRadio mp3 player that arrived with an SD-card pre-loaded with 1000 songs. As an added bonus, they even arranged the songs into playlists, one such playlist being Workout Tunes. Since I have kept true to my New Year's resolution of walking around White Rock Lake, I have been making use of these Workout Tunes and will share a few with you this week:


#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%

According to Wikipedia, this one was released on October 31, 1977, exactly four days after I was born... I seriously had no idea that this song is as old as I am!!! :-)

It's not often that Wikipedia gives you the perspective of the actual songwriter, so I will share that with you today, as well:

"Rick Nielsen explains his perspective behind the song:

'I just pictured myself in a big, overstuffed chair, and my dad turned on the TV; there were like three stations. I wanted to watch Gabby Hayes – he was a cowboy. I always wanted what wasn’t there, so I think that’s what made me inquisitive throughout my whole life. When you wanted Gabby, Gabby’s not there; when you want your dad, your dad is not there. It was the easiest lyric I could think of. And I wish I were that stupid more often. It’s like Van Morrison – with some of his old songs it didn’t matter what the lyrics meant, it’s how they sounded.'"

Another Cheap Trick song on the Workout playlist is "Surrender", which I will include under the lyrics. And I'll take you into the weekend by disclosing that the very first junior high slow dance that I ever had was to the Cheap Trick song, "The Flame".  I don't even remember the name of the guy I danced with, but I do remember the song!!! That one will be posted below the lyrics for you, as well...


I want you to want me
I need you to need me
I'd love you to love me
I'm begging you to beg me
I want you to want me
I need you to need me
I'd love you to love me

I'll shine up the old brown shoes
Put on a brand new shirt
I'll get home early from work 
If you say that you love me

Didn't I, didn't I, didn't I see you crying?
Oh, didn't I, didn't I, didn't I see you crying?
Feeling all alone without a friend, you know you feel like dying 
Oh, didn't I, didn't I, didn't I see you crying?

I want you to want me
I need you to need me
I'd love you to love me
I'm begging you to beg me

I'll shine up the old brown shoes
Put on a brand-new shirt
I'll get home early from work 
If you say that you love me

Didn't I, didn't I, didn't I see you crying?
Oh, didn't I, didn't I, didn't I see you crying?
Feeling all alone without a friend, you know you feel like dying
Oh, didn't I, didn't I, didn't I see you crying?

Feelin' all alone without a friend, you know you feel like dying
Oh, didn't I, didn't I, didn't I see you crying?

I want you to want me
I need you to need me
I'd love you to love me
I'm begging you to beg me
I want you to want me
I want you to want me
I want you to want me
I want you to want me




No comments:

Post a Comment