Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Week Eighty-Nine: Candy Songs - Siouxsie & the Banshees - "Candyman" - Tinderbox


Week Eighty-Nine will be dedicated to songs that feature that wonderful God-given treat known as candy!!!

@>---<@@>---<@@>---<@@>---<@@>---<@


Again, I know that I have covered quite a bit of the lovely Siouxsie Sioux on my blog already, but she's my all-time fave!  

I've pretty much shared all that I have to share about the band, so I'll let Wikipedia fill you in this time around:

"'Candyman' is a song written and produced by British rock band Siouxsie and the Banshees. It was released as the second single from their seventh studio album Tinderbox."

"The song is an aggressive guitar-based number with heavy post-punk influences. Although its title suggests wholesome imagery à la 'The Candy Man', Sioux's lyrics describe an altogether different kind of 'Candyman' (à la Ronald Clark O'Bryan): ('...Sickly sweet, his poison seeks / For the young ones who don't understand / The danger in his hands / With a jaundiced wink see his cunning slink / Oh trust in me my pretty one / Come walk with me my helpless one...')."

"'Candyman' became Siouxsie and the Banshees' 13th top 40 hit, peaking at number 34 in the UK singles chart."



Sickly sweet, his poison seeks 
For the young ones who don't understand 
The danger in his hands 
With a jaundiced wink see his cunning slink 
Oh trust in me my pretty one 
Come walk with me my helpless one 
Candyman 

Syrup lies upon your tongue 
Gelatine saliva spills 
The flash of a guillotine a smile 

Candyman - oh candyman 

No pity for him, their misery screams 
Unspeakable things 

A cool missile, yes it's in his smile 
With open arms to welcome you 
Beware the masked pretender 
He always lies, this candyman 
Those lips conspire in treachery 
To strike in cloak and dagger, see! 

Candyman - oh candyman 

And all the children, he warns "don't tell,'' 
Those threats are sold 
With their guilt and shame, they think they're to blane 

For candyman - oh candyman




No comments:

Post a Comment