Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Week Ninety-One: Workout Tunes - Coldplay - "Viva La Vida" - Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends

Many years ago, I invested in a Sansa/SanDisk/SlotRadio mp3 player that arrived with an SD-card pre-loaded with 1000 songs. As an added bonus, they even arranged the songs into playlists, one such playlist being Workout Tunes. Since I have kept true to my New Year's resolution of walking around White Rock Lake, I have been making use of these Workout Tunes and will share a few with you this week:


#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%

First of all, I'm going to come right out and admit that I was never a huge Coldplay fan. I didn't blatantly dislike them, but I wasn't overly impressed by the song, "Yellow", which I guess was one of their breakthrough tunes. I found it to be somewhat annoying actually, but that was probably because it was so overplayed. It doesn't hold the same annoyance factor that it once did for me, and I am even including it below the lyrics for you.

I did, however, really like the song, "Viva La Vida". It seemed quite different from all the other tunes that were being released around the same time. It's very catchy, and it's a great Workout tune.

I have to tell you, though, Wikipedia is really developing a quirky side with some of its descriptions. I had to include this one for you today:

"Because of the similarities in titles, the song is often confused with 'Livin' La Vida Loca' (or 'Livin' the Crazy Life'), a different-sounding, more uptempo 1999 hit by the Puerto Rican pop singer Ricky Martin, who is not related to Chris Martin."

Really?!?!?! Who confuses the two?!?!? Because I will personally award them an "idiot" stamp right in the middle of the forehead!!!

Anyhow, another tune by Coldplay that I really like is called "Green Eyes"...and well, I will let you figure out on your own why I might be partial to that one!!!



I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"

One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain
Once you go there was never
Never an honest word
And that was when I ruled the world

It was the wicked and wild wind
Blew down the doors to let me in
Shattered windows and the sound of drums
People couldn't believe what I'd become

Revolutionaries wait
For my head on a silver plate
Just a puppet on a lonely string
Oh who would ever want to be king?

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain
I know Saint Peter won't call my name
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain
I know Saint Peter won't call my name
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world




No comments:

Post a Comment