Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Week Eighty-Seven: More Girl Groups - The Dixie Cups - "You Should Have Seen The Way He Looked At Me" - Chapel of Love: The Very Best of The Dixie Cups

As we welcome in a New Year on Wednesday, I am more convinced than ever that I was born in the wrong era!!! I'm not at all excited about the scientific advances that 2014 will bring, nor am I impressed by our super-technologically obsessed society. My heart absolutely longs for what I view as a simpler and easier time! So I am going to use this week to cover more Girl Groups from roughly the 1960s or so because that genre of music is about as close as I'll ever get to where I would prefer to be!!!
`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`

From Wikipedia because I wasn't alive to experience the complete awesomeness of the 1960s:

"The Dixie Cups are an American pop music girl group of the 1960s. They are best known for their 1964 million-selling record 'Chapel of Love'."

"The group hit the top of the charts in 1964 with 'Chapel of Love,' a song that Phil Spector, Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich had originally written for The Ronettes. The trio consisted of sisters Barbara Ann and Rosa Lee Hawkins; plus their cousin Joan Marie Johnson, from the Calliope housing project in New Orleans. They first sang together in grade school. Originally they were to be called Little Miss and the Muffets, but were named the Dixie Cups just prior to their first release."

"Their first release, 'Chapel of Love,' proved to be their biggest hit, although they had other hits with 'People Say' (#12, 1964), 'You Should Have Seen the Way He Looked at Me' (#39, 1964), 'Iko Iko' (#20, 1965), and 'Little Bell' (#51, 1965). 'Chapel of Love' sold over one million copies, and was awarded a gold disc."

"'Iko Iko', a New Orleans R&B standard, was recorded early in 1965. Barbara Hawkins had heard her grandmother sing the song, first recorded in 1954 as 'Jock-a-Mo' by James 'Sugar Boy' Crawford. Barbara Hawkins: 'We were just clowning around with it during a session using drumsticks on ashtrays. We didn't realize that Jerry and Mike had the tapes running'. Leiber and Stoller overdubbed a bassline and percussion, and released it. It was The Dixie Cups' fifth and last hit."

So although this group is obviously best known for "Chapel of Love", I really dig the song, "You Should Have Seen the Way He Looked At Me", especially after I saw it in a documentary about Girl Groups. I'll include YouTube clips for both songs, as well as another favorite, "Iko Iko"...

I hope everyone has a spectacular 2014!!!


I saw him at the party
Standing in the corner
Looking just as good
As he could be

And when he caught my eye
I knew I was a goner
You should have seen
The way he looked at me

But I tell you
He really knocked me dead
So I don't quite remember
Exactly what he said

I just stood there
And I shook my head
Cause you should have seen
The way he looked at me

The music started playing
And before I knew it
He put his arms around me tenderly

He asked me for a kiss
And I just had to do it
You should have seen
The way he looked at me

Well you know that
He walked me home that night
There was starlight and moonlight
Everything was right

So I kissed him with all my might
And you should have seen
The way he looked at me

Whoa, oh, oh, no
He didn't let me down
Cause the very next day
You know he came around

And he told me that he loved me
Yes he really did
And now he said that
He was mine eternally

I looked him in the eye
And said, you wouldn't kid now
You should have seen
The way he looked at me

And then one day
I wore something new
Something old and borrowed
And something blue

I remember when he said, I do
You should have seen
The way he looked at me

Whoa, oh, yeah
Whoa, oh, yeah
Whoa, oh, yeah
Whoa, oh, yeah

Whoa, oh









No comments:

Post a Comment