Monday, January 6, 2014

Week Eighty-Eight: iPod Picks - Part Trois - Goo Goo Dolls - "Slide" - Dizzy Up the Girl

Surprisingly, my beloved and trusty little iPod has made it another six months, according to when I last allowed it to make the song selections, which was back in June of 2013. I did have to dump a few extra songs off of it, in order to get it back to a functioning level, but it still has over 4000 from which to select. So this week's picks will once again be made by my iPod while in *shuffle mode*



<*.*><*.*><*.*><*.*><*.*><*.*><*.*><*.*><*.*><*.*>

"Slide" is an incredibly upbeat and uplifting song... until you really listen to the lyrics, that is!!!

So, yes, apparently it's about the contemplation of an abortion. Sadly, I have personally known many females who have been forced to contemplate that decision. Some have gone through with it; others have not. Being raised Catholic, I was taught that I should be vehemently opposed to it; however, once I was given freedom to formulate my own thoughts, I realized that not every situation is as black-and-white as we were taught to believe. I never wanted to have babies, so I always took drastic measures to ensure it never happened! Regardless, it's not my place to judge, and who knows what I would have decided had I ever been placed in that type of a situation??? I'm just eternally grateful that I never was!!!

Anyhoo, here's Wikipedia's bit on the whole abortion aspect:

"In a 2002 performance on VH1 Storytellers, Rzeznik explained that the song refers to a teenage girl in a strict Catholic environment who has become pregnant. She and her boyfriend are debating as to the possibility of abortion or marriage. It has been argued that the ending verse of the song suggests the young couple finally opts for an abortion. Also suggested is that 'I will run away' means they run away and live their lives, whatever that may be."


"Several lines, 'little pieces of the nothing that fall' seem to consider one angle on abortion, while others 'don't you love the life you killed' seem to imply others. In spite of the 'killed', parts of the song imply they are still trying to decide what to do. One suggestion even holds that 'the life you killed' is the girl's life, and 'pieces...fall' refers to her possible life with him, coming after 'I'll do anything you ever dreamed to be complete'."

In addition to "Slide", I'm also including two others by the Goo Goo Dolls called "Name" and "Iris"...


Could you whisper in my ear
The things you wanna feel
I'd give you anythin'
To feel it comin'

Do you wake up on your own
And wonder where you are?
You live with all your faults

I wanna wake up where you are
I won't say anything at all
So why don't you slide

Yeah, I'm gonna let it slide

Don't you love the life you killed?
The priest is on the phone
Your father hit the wall
Your ma disowned you

Don't supposed I'll ever know
What it means to be a man
It's somethin' I can't change
I'll live around it

I wanna wake up where you are
I won't say anything at all
So why don't you slide
Ooh, slide

And I'll do anythin' you ever dreamed to be complete
Little pieces of the nothin' that fall
Oh, May
Put your arms around me
What you feel is what you are
And what you are is beautiful
Oh, May
Do you wanna get married
 Or run away?

And I'll do anythin' you ever dreamed to be complete
Little pieces of the nothin' that fall
Oh, May
Put your arms around me
What you feel is what you are
And what you are is beautiful
Oh, May
Do you wanna get married
Or run away?

I wanna wake up where you are
I won't say anything

And I'll do anythin' you ever dreamed to be complete
(Yeah, slide)
Little pieces of the nothin' that fall
(yeah slide)
And I'll do anythin' you ever dreamed to be complete
(Yeah slide)
Little pieces of the nothin' that fall
(Oh, oh slide)
Yeah, slide between the sheets of all them beds you never knew
(Yeah slide)
Why don't you slide into my room
Just slide into my room
Oh, we'll run away, run away, run away



No comments:

Post a Comment