Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Week Eighty-Eight: iPod Picks - Part Trois - The Ocean Blue - "Mercury" - Cerulean

Surprisingly, my beloved and trusty little iPod has made it another six months, according to when I last allowed it to make the song selections, which was back in June of 2013. I did have to dump a few extra songs off of it, in order to get it back to a functioning level, but it still has over 4000 from which to select. So this week's picks will once again be made by my iPod while in *shuffle mode*



<*.*><*.*><*.*><*.*><*.*><*.*><*.*><*.*><*.*><*.*>


The Ocean Blue is a fantabulous band that most people just breezed over. By their description on Wikipedia, you can most certainly figure out why I absolutely adore them:

"The band's sound may be best described as jangly guitar-based modern rock. Influences include such bands as The Smiths, Cocteau Twins, R.E.M., Echo & the Bunnymen and New Order. The Ocean Blue's earliest shows always consisted of a healthy dose of covers by these bands. To this day, The Smiths and New Order covers still punctuate concert encores."

Because they have such a Brit-pop sound, I was convinced for the longest time that they were from across the pond, but they actually hail from Hershey, PA. Even Wikipedia mentioned that many people are surprised when they learn the band isn't British!!!

I don't even recall how I was introduced to The Ocean Blue, but I'm certain it was through one of the DJs on The EDGE, back in the 94.5 days, of course. 

I know I'll never get around to covering The Ocean Blue again, so I'm going to leave you with quite a few of their tracks today including: "Cerulean", "Between Something and Nothing", "Ballerina Out of Control", and "Drifting, Falling"...enjoy!!!




Quietly, almost elusively
Almost invisibly,
I found that I
for a moment
Had slipped away.
Ripped in two, then pasted back again,
Then crumpled up inside,
Then tossed aside
you know that
It feels so bad.
oh Mercury
oh Mercury
Happened once, then it
happened twice,
Then it happened thrice,
And now a fourth?
You know that?
Did you know that?
Quietly, almost elusively
Almost invisibly,
I found that I
for a moment
Had slipped away.

oh Mercury




No comments:

Post a Comment