Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Week Eighty-Seven: More Girl Groups - The Toys - "A Lover's Concerto" - The Best of the Girl Groups, Vol. 2

As we welcome in a New Year on Wednesday, I am more convinced than ever that I was born in the wrong era!!! I'm not at all excited about the scientific advances that 2014 will bring, nor am I impressed by our super-technologically obsessed society. My heart absolutely longs for what I view as a simpler and easier time! So I am going to use this week to cover more Girl Groups from roughly the 1960s or so because that genre of music is about as close as I'll ever get to where I would prefer to be!!!
`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`

And here's Wikipedia's take on The Toys, since this was all way before my time, as I mentioned yesterday:

"The Toys were an American pop girl group from Jamaica, New York, which was formed in 1961 and disbanded in 1968."

"The Toys were discovered at a talent show by manager Vince Marc, who introduced them to songwriters Sandy Linzer and Denny Randell. Linzer and Randell wrote most of the songs recorded by them, including their U.S. #2 hit single 'A Lover's Concerto', and also produced the group's 1965-66 recordings on Bob Crewe's DynoVoice record label. Global sales of this disc exceeded two million copies, with a gold record awarded by the R.I.A.A. in 1965. Their first U.S. tour was with Gene Pitney. In 1967 the group changed labels and producers, but charted only one more minor single (a cover of Brian Hyland's 'Sealed with a Kiss') before breaking up."

"The Toys appeared on most of the major TV rock programs, including Shindig!, Hullabaloo, and American Bandstand. They also had a cameo role in the 1967 beach movie It's a Bikini World."

I seriously had no idea that there were television shows called Shindig! and Hullabaloo --- those words rank right up there with ballyhoo and shenanigans in my silly, little world!

I'll also include another one by The Toys, which shows up on the One Kiss Can Lead to Another compilations, called "May My Heart Be Cast Into Stone"...

Oh, and Happy New Year's Eve! I'm not exactly the kind of girl who believes in allowing the success or failure of one evening to determine the outcome of my next 365 days; therefore, I choose not to participate in most of the festivities. However, for those of you who do participate, I hope you enjoy your shindigs, hullabaloo, ballyhoo and shenanigans this evening!!! :-D


How gentle is the rain
That falls softly on the meadow?
Birds, high up in the trees,
Serenade the clouds with their melodies.

Oh, see, there beyond the hill,
The bright colors of the rainbow.
Some magic from above
Made this day for us just to fall in love.

Now, I belong to you
From this day until forever.
Just love me tenderly
And I'll give to you every part of me.

Oh, don't ever make me cry
Through long, lonely nights without us.
Be always true to me.
Keep this day in your heart eternally.

Someday we shall return
To this place upon the meadow.
We'll walk out in the rain,
Hear the birds above singing once again.

You'll hold me in your arms 
And say once again you love me
And, if your love is true,
Everything will be just as wonderful.

You'll hold me in your arms 
And say once again you love me
And, if your love is true,
Everything will be just as wonderful.

You'll hold me in your arms 
And say once again you love me
And, if your love is true,
Everything will be just as wonderful.


No comments:

Post a Comment