Thursday, December 5, 2013

Week Eighty-Three: Deacon Blue - "Your Town" - Whatever You Say, Say Nothing

Okay... so I didn't exactly plan this week out very well because there were only three of us participating in the gift exchange, and I need four bands and/or songs to finish out a week of posts. However, it gives me an opportunity to share a somewhat obscure band that all three of us adored!!!

Stephanie and I discovered Deacon Blue at around the same time, and we quickly introduced Colleen to their greatness. Stephanie and I used to check out the Modern Rock charts in various music magazines, and we saw "Your Town" listed but hadn't heard it yet. We found a copy of the cassette somewhere and immediately fell in love with the song!!!

I still own a copy of the CD, but interestingly, the only lyrics listed on the liner notes are for the song, "Bethlehem's Gate". Since the holiday season is now in full swing, I figured it would be apropos to include that one as well, and I'll even scan the lyrics for you!!!



I wouldn`t want to be you
Mostly not even near you
When you`re gone they will curse you
And raise the tide against you 

I no longer care now
For what you said was fair now
I just don't go there now
I just don't go 

Maybe there`s a way not to make it hurt
To cover up the words like you covered up the dirt
Ever since you left
It just gets worse
Living out in your town 

Now let`s say it like it is
I just don`t know where to begin
It`s a different way of living
It`s so strange to what we`ve been

First we speak for ourselves now
And people know who we are now
And they wake up and they live now
Yes they wake up and they live

Maybe there`s a way not to let it hurt
Tell it out in pictures
And songs and words
Do what we should not
To make it worse
Living out in your town




No comments:

Post a Comment