Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Week Eighty-Three: Gift Exchange '92 - Anastasia's Choice - The Lemonheads - "Confetti" - It's a Shame About Ray

Freshman year of high school, my two best friends were Stephanie and Colleen. When Christmas time rolled around, being jobless at the time, we knew that we would have limited funds to purchase gifts for one another. So we came up with a plan that we would each bring a wrapped cassette of our choice, and we would figure out how to randomly exchange them. Turns out that no one really wanted the other choices, and we all ended up going home with our own purchases. So this week, I'm going to share with you what we were listening to back in '92
**************************************************************************


Yes, my dearest blogland readers, my pick was It's a Shame About Ray by The Lemonheads. I loved, loved, loved the song, "Confetti", off this album. Additionally, I could not get enough of their cover of the song, "Mrs. Robinson". Two of my other favorites off the album were "Bit Part" and the title track, "It's a Shame About Ray".

And, yes, I got to keep this cassette as my very own, and I could not have been any more pleased. Since I am including so many YouTube clips for you today, I'll stop babbling now and let you get to watching.  However, I did want to share two little bits of info that I read on their wiki page:

"During 1992-1993, Dando's face graced many magazine covers, and he was included in People's 50 Most Beautiful People list."

"He also co-wrote the song 'The Last High' with Courtney Taylor-Taylor of The Dandy Warhols for the album Welcome to the Monkey House by The Dandy Warhols."

You might remember that I covered The Dandy Warhols a few weeks back. I also have to include two more for you today that were not on my prized cassette. I don't think I'll ever get around to covering The Lemonheads again, and you need to hear these too. The first one is called "Into Your Arms". The second is a cover and a duet that Evan Dando did with Liv Tyler - isn't she just soooooo lovely???? - and it's called "Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye".



He kinda shoulda sorta woulda loved her if he could've.
The story's getting closer to the end.
He kinda shoulda sorta woulda loved her if he could've.
He'd rather be alone than pretend.

She just wanted him to love her but he didn't.
He took to the woods and wandered in it.
Walked along and on until they couldn't.
Stole himself to tell her that he wouldn't.

He kinda shoulda sorta woulda loved her if he could've.
The story's getting closer to the end.
He kinda shoulda sorta woulda loved her if he could've.
He'd rather be alone than pretend.

She wanted him to love her but he didn't.
He took to the woods and wandered in it.
Walked along and on 'til his legs couldn't.
Stole her voice to tell her that he wouldn't.

He kinda shoulda sorta woulda loved her if he could've.
The story's getting closer to the end.
He kinda shoulda sorta woulda loved her if he could've.

He'd rather be alone than pretend.









No comments:

Post a Comment