Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Week Eighty-Three: Gift Exchange '92 - Colleen's Choice - Soul Asylum - "Somebody to Shove" - Grave Dancers Union

Freshman year of high school, my two best friends were Stephanie and Colleen. When Christmas time rolled around, being jobless at the time, we knew that we would have limited funds to purchase gifts for one another. So we came up with a plan that we would each bring a wrapped cassette of our choice, and we would figure out how to randomly exchange them. Turns out that no one really wanted the other choices, and we all ended up going home with our own purchases. So this week, I'm going to share with you what we were listening to back in '92
**************************************************************************


Colleen's choice was Soul Asylum's Grave Dancers Union. Colleen had the biggest crush on Dave Pirner. She was so devastated when she found out he was dating Winona Ryder --- remember how he got to make an appearance in Reality Bites because of it??? He's not a bad looking guy or anything, but he has one of the pointiest noses I've ever seen!!!

If it came down to it and if I had been forced to take one of the other cassettes over my selection, I would have walked away with this one instead. Granted, there were only three songs off the album that I really liked, but at least there were three and not just one!!!

So, I'll also include "Runaway Train" and "Black Gold"...



Grandfather watches the grandfather clock
And the phone hasn't rang for so long
And the time flies by like a vulture in the sky
Suddenly he breaks into song

I'm waiting by the phone
Waiting for you to call me up and tell me I'm not alone
I'm waiting by the phone
Waiting for you to call me up and tell me I'm not alone

Hello, speak up, is there somebody there?
These hang-ups are getting me down
In a world frozen over with over-exposure
Let's talk it over, let's go out and paint the town

I'm waiting by the phone
Waiting for you to call me up and tell me I'm not alone

Cause I want somebody to shove
I need somebody to shove
I want somebody to shove me

You're a dream for insomniacs, prize in the Cracker Jacks
All the difference in the world is just a call away

And I'm waiting by the phone
Waiting for you to call me up and tell me I'm not alone
Yes I'm waiting by the phone
I'm waiting for you to call me up and tell me I'm not alone

Cause I want somebody to shove
I need somebody to shove
I want somebody to shove me
Yes I want somebody to shove
I need somebody to shove
I want somebody to shove me



No comments:

Post a Comment