Thursday, July 11, 2013

Week Sixty-Two: Jack FM - 80's Flashback Weekend - Madonna - "Like a Prayer" - The Immaculate Collection

One of my favorite things about holiday weekends is that one of the local radio stations will usually delight me with an 80's weekend. This year, 100.3 - Jack FM - came through for me! So I will select four songs that I heard over this holiday weekend and tell you about them...
*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*


As I've already mentioned a time or two, I was forever winning tickets by calling in to various radio stations when I was younger, and one concert I got to attend, by way of winning tickets, was Madonna's Blond Ambition World Tour:


A year before this tour commenced, Madonna had already pissed off the entire Catholic community by releasing today's song, "Like a Prayer". Here's Wikipedia's take on things:

"The music video, directed by Mary Lambert, portrays Madonna as a witness to a murder hiding in a church for safety. The clip depicts Catholic symbols such as stigmata and burning crosses, and a dream about making love to a saint. After its release, the Vatican condemned the video, while family and religious groups protested its broadcast. They boycotted products by soft drink manufacturer Pepsi, which used the song for a commercial. Madonna's contract with Pepsi was then canceled, although she was allowed to retain her initial fee."

Then she added more fuel to the fire because of some choreography that was part of the tour. Again, here's Wikipedia's input:

"In April 1990 she began her Blond Ambition World Tour, which was held until August. Rolling Stone called it an 'elaborately choreographed, sexually provocative extravaganza' and proclaimed it 'the best tour of 1990'. The tour was met with strong reaction from religious groups for her performance of 'Like a Virgin', during which two male dancers caressed her body before she simulated masturbation. The Church of England and the Catholic Church criticized her performance and the Pope asked the general public and the Christian community not to attend the concert. A private association of Catholics calling themselves Famiglia Domani also boycotted the tour for its eroticism."

Due to all of this hoopla and negative media attention, my mother really did not want me to attend the concert and refused to take me. She was a very devout Catholic at the time. My dad, on the other hand, couldn't have cared less what anyone was saying about Madonna or her concert, and he gladly dropped me and my friend, Cecilia, off at Reunion Arena, on a school night even!!!

I don't know what all the fuss was about because the performance was not really all that provocative to me. Anyway, I remember mentioning, during Spooky Tunes Week, that BiGod 20 had covered this tune, but I could not find it on YouTube. Well, I have since located it, and I will include the cover below the lyrics...



Life is a mystery, everyone must stand alone
I hear you call my name
And it feels like home

[Chorus:]
When you call my name it's like a little prayer
I'm down on my knees, I wanna take you there
In the midnight hour I can feel your power
Just like a prayer you know I'll take you there

I hear your voice, it's like an angel sighing
I have no choice, I hear your voice
Feels like flying
I close my eyes, Oh God I think I'm falling
Out of the sky, I close my eyes
Heaven help me

[Chorus x2]

Life is a mystery, everyone must stand alone
I hear you call my name
And it feels like...

[Chorus x2 (with Choir)]
(Just like a prayer, I'll take you there
It's like a dream to me)



No comments:

Post a Comment