Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Week Sixty-Four: ??????? - Billy Bragg - "Sexuality" - Don't Try This at Home

I've been wanting to post about this week's songs for some time now, but I could never come up with a theme in order to include them. So this week, I am going theme-less, but I will offer you four really great random songs (and hopefully really great tales to accompany them)!!!

?#?#?#?#?#?#?#?#?#?#?#?#?#?#?#?#?#?#?#

I know that I mentioned this during Jesus Jones week, but I used to spend quite a bit of time at Six Flags Over Texas, as a result of purchasing a season pass. I've always wondered if anyone else remembered seeing this, but when you would go through that tunnel-type thing (the one that had all the different colored chewing gum and pennies stuck to the wall) as you were waiting in line for the Texas Giant, if you looked immediately to your right as you were entering, someone had written: "Sexuality - Billy Bragg". (Speaking of the Texas Giant... did you hear the recent news about the woman who fell off the ride and died?!?!? What a horrible way to go!!!)

For the longest time, I had no idea what that meant, but one day as I was browsing through the CD's at a local CD shop, I came across the name Billy Bragg... and there it was on Don't Try This at Home... "Sexuality". I purchased that CD without even knowing what the song sounded like, simply because curiosity had gotten the best of me.

It turned out to be a pleasant surprise because I really liked the song, and I discovered that Johnny Marr (of The Smiths) helped compose it. I saw in The Dallas Observer that Johnny Marr will be stopping by within the next few months. Additionally, Kirsty MacColl makes an appearance on this song.

I'll also throw in "A New England" by Billy Bragg, as well as "Walking Down Madison" by Kirsty MacColl.


I've had relations with girls from many nations
I've made passes at women of all classes
And just because you're gay I won't turn you away
If you stick around I'm sure that we can find some common ground

Chorus:
Sexuality - Strong and warm and wild and free
Sexuality - Your laws do not apply to me

A nuclear submarine sinks off the coast of Sweden
Headlines give me headaches when I read them
I had an uncle who once played for Red Star Belgrade
He said some things are really left best unspoken
But I prefer it all to be out in the open

Sexuality - Young and warm and wild and free
Sexuality - Your laws do not apply to me
Sexuality - Don't threaten me with misery
Sexuality - I demand equality

I'm sure that everybody knows how much my body hates me
It lets me down most every time and makes me rash and hasty
I feel a total jerk before your naked body of work

I'm getting weighed down with all this information
Safe sex doesn't mean no sex it just means use your imagination
Stop playing with yourselves in hard currency hotels
I look like Robert De Niro, I drive a Mitsubishi Zero

Sexuality - Strong and warm and wild and free
Sexuality - Your laws do not apply to me
Sexuality - Come eat and drink and sleep with me
Sexuality - We can be what we want to be




No comments:

Post a Comment