Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Week Sixty-Three: Rob Sheffield - Love is a Mix Tape - The Style Council - "You're the Best Thing" - The Singular Adventures of The Style Council, Greatest Hits Vol. 1

I love to read... no, I mean, I really, really love to read, especially during the scorching hot Texas summers, when stepping outside is enough to melt one's flesh right from the muscle and bone. My favorites are memoirs, biographies, and autobiographies, and it's even better when they incorporate music into the tales. A few years ago, I picked up a book called Love is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song at a Time by Rob Sheffield. If his name sounds familiar, it's probably because he wrote for Rolling Stone magazine, and I've also seen him on some of the VH-1 count down specials as one of the individuals who gave commentary. So, anyway, Rob starts each chapter with a mock cassette cover, and that is where I am drawing inspiration for this week's songs...



<3 / <3 / <3 / <3 / <3 / <3 / <3 / <3


At the beginning of this year, when 102.1 The EDGE still let Jeff K have his Sunday morning retro show, he used to delight me with so many long-forgotten tunes. In fact, after I found out he was no longer on the air, I boycotted The EDGE, and now I only listen to 100.3 Jack FM and 91.7 KXT, as well as 98.7 KLUV. Jeff K was such a pivotal part of my musical development when I was growing up. It didn't matter if I was listening to The Flashback Cafe or EDGE Club, he was forever teaching me something about good music.

On one of his Sunday morning shows, he mentioned to the listeners that it was his anniversary and that he was going to dedicate a song to his wife. I listened with great anticipation to see just what tune he might select, and lo and behold, it turned out to be "You're the Best Thing" by The Style Council. Isn't that just the sweetest???

I'll also include another favorite by them called "My Ever Changing Moods"...



I could be discontent and chase the rainbows end
I might win much more but lose all that is mine
I could be a lot but I know I'm not
I'm content just with the riches that you bring 
I might shoot to win and commit the sin
Of wanting more than I've already got
I could runaway but I'd rather stay
In the warmth of your smile lighting up my day
(the one that makes me say, heh)

'Cause you're the best thing that ever happened to me or my world
You're the best thing that ever happened - so don't go away

I might be a king and steal my peoples' things
But I don't go for that power crazy way
All that I could rule but I don't check for fools
All that I need is to be left to live my way
(say listen what I say)

I could chase around for nothing to be found
But why look for something that is never there
I may get it wrong sometimes but I'll come back in style
For I realise your love means more than anything
(the song you make me sing - yeah)



Also, I know I mentioned last week that I would be catching The P-Furs show tonight at House of Blues, but plans have changed for me. I would, however, like to welcome Richard Butler and the boys back to Dallas by including "Highwire Days" since that is what Rob selected for Love is a Mix Tape... I do already have my tickets for Adam Ant at The Granada Theater on July 28th, so maybe I'll run into you at that show instead. If you look closely at the mock cassette cover below, you'll also notice that he included "Friend or Foe" on this one!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment