Monday, May 14, 2012

Week Two: The Jesus & Mary Chain - "Sometimes Always" - Stoned and Dethroned

When this song was released in '94, I was so thrilled because I had just discovered Mazzy Star a few months earlier.  I read in one of my music magazines that this was a duet between Jim Reid and Hope Sandoval, and I was at my local music store ready to pick it up on the day it came out. 

I did not even know what to possibly expect, but once I popped that cassette into the tape deck of my Hyundai, this song was played over and over and over again.  I'm not sure that I had ever heard a JAMC song come close to being quite this sweet and mellow sounding.  Hope seems like such a sweet and mellow girl, so I'm sure her input had some influence over the unruly Reid boys.

Nonetheless, this is one of those tunes that when it happens to show up on the shuffle mode of my iPod, I inevitably have to listen to it a second time before moving on to the next random song.


I gave you all I had
I gave you good and bad
I gave but you just threw it back

I won't get on my knees
Don't make me do that please
I've been away but now I'm back

Don't be too sure of that
What makes you sure of that
You went away you can't come back

I walked away from you
I hurt you through and through
Aw honey give me one more chance

Aw you're a lucky son
Lucky son of a gun
You went away, you went away
You went away but now you're back

I got down on my knees
And then I begged you please
I always knew you'd take me back


No comments:

Post a Comment