Saturday, May 12, 2012

Week Two: The Jesus & Mary Chain - "Head On" - Automatic

***UPDATE*** 10/21/2012

When I was looking at my ticket stubs to determine what I might post about in upcoming weeks, I came across my JAMC ticket stub, as well as the newspaper clipping about the show... Enjoy!




I can't claim to have been a Jesus & Mary Chain fan from the very beginning, mainly because I was about six years old when they formed.  However, from the first time I heard this song, when I was somewhere around the 7th grade, I was hooked on this band.

Back when you could still buy really awesome band/concert T-shirts at the mall, I convinced my mom to purchase me a JAMC T-shirt (the "Reverence" EP cover).  Much to her dismay, I remember wearing it to Mass one day.  An old lady came up and asked me if it was the name of my church youth group.  I simply chuckled as I shook my head, "No."  However, I could not help thinking how disgusted this poor old lady would have been if she had known that this band had placed a picture of the Virgin Mother with a blackened eye on one of their album covers.

There is no doubt in my mind that God has a sense of humor; so I am fairly certain that He would have forgiven me now for my childish antics.  If I recall correctly, He pardoned people in the Bible for far greater transgressions than a slightly inappropriate T-shirt.

Nevertheless, "Head On" is one of those tunes I am sure I will never tire of, primarily because it gets my engines revving.  Back in '97 or '98, I went to see JAMC perform a reunion tour, but when I arrived at the venue, there was a note posted on the door that read something along the lines of William and Jim had gotten into one of their infamous arguments and that only Jim would be performing that evening.  I was so disappointed because I was dying to hear this song played live - well, at least, live and played by both Reid brothers.  Ha!  I suppose that was my punishment for double-crossing God in His own house!!


As soon as I get my head round you
I come around catching sparks off you
I get an electric charge from you
That second hand living it just won't do

And the way I feel tonight
I could die and I wouldn't mind
And there's something going on inside
Makes you want to feel makes you want to try
Makes you want to blow the stars from the sky
I can't stand up I can't cool down
I can't get my head off the ground

As soon as I get my head round you
I come around catching sparks off you
And all I ever got from you
Was all I ever took from you

And the world could die in pain
And I wouldn't feel no shame
And there's nothing holding me to blame
Makes you want to feel makes you want to try
Makes you want to blow the stars from the sky
I'm taking myself to the dirty part of town
Where all my troubles can't be found

No comments:

Post a Comment