Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Week Ninety-Three: Love Songs - Golden Oldies Style - Roy Orbison - "You Got It" - The Essential Roy Orbison

I find it interesting that when I want to listen to really phenomenal love songs, my natural inclination is never to go looking at the latest hits or even to my beloved Retro/New Wave tunes... I like to take it way, way back to the 1950s and 1960s when musicians could really write meaningful love songs. You may remember that, at this time last year, I covered Classic Country tunes; this year, I'm going to celebrate the week of love with some Golden Oldies!!! And if you thought I gave you a ton of music to explore last week, then you're in for a real treat this week!!!
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Roy Orbison is another homegrown boy, but he was born and bred in Vernon, Texas! Another neat-o fact about Roy Orbison is that he attended my alma mater, University of North Texas, (which, at that time, was called North Texas State College):

"After graduating from Wink High School, he enrolled at North Texas State College in Denton, planning to study geology so that he could secure work in the oil fields if music did not pay."

Roy Orbison fell out of the public eye for many years after his initial success, but once he made his comeback, he was well-received by many fellow musicians like Bono and The Edge from U2:

"Orbison was in high demand for concerts and interviews once again, and was thrilled about it. He began writing songs and collaborating with many musicians from his past and newer fans to develop a solo album titled Mystery Girl. U2's lead singer Bono had become aware of Orbison when he saw Blue Velvet and, with The Edge wrote 'She's a Mystery to Me' for him." 

"Bono witnessed the recording of the song and recalled:

I stood beside him and sang with him. He didn't seem to be singing. So I thought, 'He'll sing it the next take. He's just reading the words.' And then we went in to listen to the take, and there was this voice, which was the loudest whisper I've ever heard. He had been singing it. But he hardly moved his lips. And the voice was louder than the band in its own way. I don't know how he did that. It was like sleight of hand."

Something else you may or may not know is that Kat Von D from LA Ink dated one of Roy Orbison's sons, Alex, and he appears in a few of the episodes and goes by the name, Orbi.

In addition to "You Got It", I'm also including the following, but don't limit yourself: "Dream Baby (How Long Must I Dream)"; "I Drove All Night" --- made famous by Cyndi Lauper, but originally recorded by Roy Orbison; "In Dreams"; "Oh, Pretty Woman"; "Only the Lonely (Know the Way I Feel)"; "She's A Mystery to Me"


Every time I look into your lovely eyes,
I see a love that money just can't buy.
One look from you, I drift away.
I pray that you are here to stay.

Anything you want, you got it.
Anything you need, you got it.
Anything at all, you got it.
Baby! 

Every time I hold you I begin to understand,
Everything about you tells me I'm your man.
I live my life to be with you.
No one can do the things you do.
Anything you want, you got it.
Anything you need, you got it.
Anything at all, you got it.
Baby!
Anything you want
Anything you need
Anything at all

I'm glad to give my love to you.
I know you feel the way I do.
Anything you want, you got it.
Anything you need, you got it.
Anything at all, you got it.
Baby! 
Anything you want, you got it
Anything you need, you got it
Anything at all, you got it
Baby
Anything at all
Baby
You got it







No comments:

Post a Comment