Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Week Ninety-Five: Pixies - "Letter to Memphis" - Trompe Le Monde

"Letter to Memphis" is my favorite song on the Trompe Le Monde album. There's just something about it that takes me back to a simpler time in my life. I remember owning Trompe Le Monde on cassette and driving around in my Hyundai Excel with this one blasting as loud as I could get those crappy car speakers to go. Gosh, I miss those days!!! I was always in such a rush to grow up and to get a career and to be successful. I have all those things now, and I'm definitely content; however, I would give anything to have an opportunity to travel back to just one of those days in my earlier life to tell my younger self to really appreciate every minute because it goes by so quickly. I guess all that I can do at this point is to remind my middle-aged self to appreciate these times before my body starts falling apart and my memory fails and all that other awful stuff that happens in old age... sorry if I've depressed you... it was never my intention at all to do so!!! 

Wikipedia has a fairly decent write-up about this one too that I will share with you today:

"The song has been described as a melancholy love song about a letter lead singer Black Francis failed to write. 'Letter to Memphis' has been commended for being a song that 'sticks in your mind', specifically the lyric 'Trying to get to you.' The song is supposed to be Francis' take on Chuck Berry's song 'Memphis, Tennessee.' An instrumental version was included as a B-side to 'Alec Eiffel' and later became the closing track of their compilation Complete 'B' Sides."

And since they've mentioned "Alec Eiffel" in the Wikipedia write-up and since it's another favorite of mine off the album, I'll include that one for you today, as well!



The day since I met her
I can't believe it's true
she came here from Memphis
across the ocean sailing
and I saw her and I pleaded
why do you come so far and she said
trying to get to you
how I tried to get to you
trying to get to you
I'm sending a letter
I'll send it right to you
I'll send it to Memphis
I know that someday
everything I needed and I wanted
used to be that my head was haunted
and all these sirens they make me mad
and all this violence it brings me down
I feel strong I feel lucky
trying to get to you
said I'm going to get to you
trying to get to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment