Monday, February 10, 2014

Week Ninety-Three: Love Songs - Golden Oldies Style - Sam Cooke - "Cupid" - Portrait of a Legend: 1951 - 1964

I find it interesting that when I want to listen to really phenomenal love songs, my natural inclination is never to go looking at the latest hits or even to my beloved Retro/New Wave tunes... I like to take it way, way back to the 1950s and 1960s when musicians could really write meaningful love songs. You may remember that, at this time last year, I covered Classic Country tunes; this year, I'm going to celebrate the week of love with some Golden Oldies!!! And if you thought I gave you a ton of music to explore last week, then you're in for a real treat this week!!!
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

I very briefly introduced Sam Cooke when I posted Amy Winehouse's version of today's tune, "Cupid". However, Sam Cooke's version is in a league of its own, and I figured it deserved a separate post. Plus, making mention of that lovable little character, Cupid, is a great way to start off the week!

Sam Cooke was an interesting individual, with an amazing number of chart-topping singles, but sadly, he is often remembered for the bizarre circumstances surrounding his death. If you read my Amy Winehouse post, you may recall that he died from a gun shot wound and was wearing only his suit jacket and one shoe. If you have some time, you should read up about it on Wikipedia.

Regardless, it does not change the fact that he released some amazing music, and in addition to "Cupid", I'm also including some of my other favorite love songs of his: "Nothing Can Change This Love"; "Win Your Love (For Me)"; "Wonderful World"; "You Send Me"; "Bring It On Home" --- (but just because I'm offering you a ton of Sam Cooke tunes today, it should not stop you from checking out some of his other great tracks)



Cupid, draw back your bow
And let your arrow go
Straight to my lover's heart for me, for me
Cupid, please hear my cry
And let your arrow fly
Straight to my lover's heart for me

Now, I don't mean to bother you
But I'm in distress
There's danger of me losing all of my happiness
For I love a girl who doesn't know I exist
And this you can fix

So, Cupid, draw back your bow
And let your arrow go
Straight to my lover's heart for me, nobody but me
Cupid, please hear my cry
And let your arrow fly
Straight to my lover's heart for me

Now, Cupid, if your arrow make her love strong for me
I promise I will love her until eternity
I know between the two of us her heart we can steal
Help me if you will

So, Cupid, draw back your bow
And let your arrow go
Straight to my lover's heart for me, nobody but me
Cupid, please hear my cry
And let your arrow fly
Straight to my lover's heart for me

Now, Cupid
Don't you hear me
Calling you?
I need you
Cupid
Help me
I need you
Cupid
Don't fail







No comments:

Post a Comment