Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Week Ninety-Four: Name-Check - New Radicals - "You Get What You Give" - Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too

For Name-Check Week, I'll be covering artists who mentioned other bands/singers in their lyrics, also known in some social circles as "name-checking"...
(~)~(~)~(~)~(~)~(~)~(~)~(~)~(~)~(~)


I'll come right out and tell you that I really, really don't like this song much at all. I seriously don't understand why so many notable artists gave it such accolades. The reason I selected it though is because this band name-checks Beck, Hanson, Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson.

Okay, New Radicals, I've got a bit of a bone to pick with you... See, I don't mind you calling out Beck, Courtney Love, or Marilyn Manson... because they've all been a bit of a train wreck at various times in their careers... but don't mess with my boys from Hanson. Those young ones never caused trouble to anyone, and they brought me such joy at one of the lowest periods in my life with that ridiculously happy song called "MMMBop". How can anyone be sad when they listen to "MMMBop"? Annoyed...maybe??? Sad...never!!! I'll include that one below the lyrics for you today...

***WARNING: "You Get What You Give" has language that may not suitable for work and/or young children***


Wake up kids 
we got the dreamers disease 
Age 14 they got you down on your knees 
Souls polite, we're busy still saying please 
Friendnemies, who, when you're down ain't your friend 
Every night we smash their Mercedes-Benz 
First we run; and then we laugh till we cry 
But when the night is falling 
and you cannot find the light, light
You feel your dreams are dying 
Hold tight 

Chorus:
---------
You've got the music in you 
Don't let go 
You've got the music in you 
One dance left 
This world is gonna pull through 
Don't give up 
You've got a reason to live 
Can't forget
We only get what we give
---------

I'm coming home baby
You're tops, Give it to me now 

Four a.m. we ran a miracle mile 
we're flat broke but hey we do it in style 
The bad rich 
God's flying in for your trial 
But when the night is falling
You cannot find a friend, friend
You feel your dream is breaking
Just bend

(chorus)

This whole damn world can fall apart 
It'll be ok, follow your heart 
You're in harms way I'm right behind 
Now say you're mine 

(chorus)

Don't let go
I feel the music in you,you,you YOU!
Fly ....... high .......!
What's real ....... can't die .......!
You only get what you give
Gonna get what you give
Don't give up
Just don't be afraid to live .......!

Health insurance rip off lying
FDA big bankers buying 
Fake computer crashes dining 
Cloning while they're multiplying 
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson 
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson 
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions 
Come around, we'll kick your ass in!

Don't let go 
One dance left 
Don't give up
Can't forget


No comments:

Post a Comment