Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Week Ninety-Three: Love Songs - Golden Oldies Style - Buddy Holly - "Everyday" - The Best of Buddy Holly

I find it interesting that when I want to listen to really phenomenal love songs, my natural inclination is never to go looking at the latest hits or even to my beloved Retro/New Wave tunes... I like to take it way, way back to the 1950s and 1960s when musicians could really write meaningful love songs. You may remember that, at this time last year, I covered Classic Country tunes; this year, I'm going to celebrate the week of love with some Golden Oldies!!! And if you thought I gave you a ton of music to explore last week, then you're in for a real treat this week!!!
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Buddy Holly was a homegrown boy --- born and bred in Lubbock, Texas!!! Buddy Holly is known not only for his signature glasses, but also for the tragic circumstances surrounding his death. I'll actually post this one for you from Wikipedia, since there's less speculation and more facts (unlike Sam Cooke's passing, from yesterday). Waylon Jennings, one of my Valentine's artists on my special playlist from last year, is mentioned here:

"Following a performance at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa, on February 2, 1959, Holly chartered a small airplane to take him to the next stop on the tour. There was a snowstorm, and the pilot, Roger Peterson, was not qualified to fly by instruments only. Bandmate Waylon Jennings had given up his seat on the plane, causing Holly to jokingly tell Jennings, 'I hope your ol' bus freezes up!' Jennings shot back facetiously, 'Well, I hope your ol' plane crashes!' It was a statement that would haunt Jennings for decades."


"Holly, Valens, Richardson and the pilot were killed en route to Moorhead, Minnesota, when their plane crashed soon after taking off from nearby Mason City in the early morning hours of February 3. 'Although the plane came down only five miles northwest of the airport, no one saw or heard the crash', wrote rock performer, archivist and music historian, Harry Hepcat, in his article about Buddy Holly. 'The bodies lay in the blowing snow through the night...... February indeed made us shiver, but it was more than the cold of February that third day of the month in 1959. It was the shiver of a greater, sometimes senseless, reality invading our sheltered, partying, teenaged life of the 50's.'"

Buddy Holly was only 22 when he passed away, but he left behind some great music! I'll share a few others with you today called: "Crying Waiting Hoping" ; "Heartbeat"; "It's So Easy"; "Oh, Boy!"; "Rave On!" --- (again, Buddy Holly has other amazing tunes; so don't cheat yourself by stopping after just listening to these!!!)



Everyday it's a-gettin' closer
Goin' faster than a rollercoaster
Love like yours will surely come my way
A-hey, a-hey-hey

Everyday it's a-gettin' faster
Everyone said, "Go ahead and ask her"
Love like yours will surely come my way
A-hey, a-hey-hey

Everyday seems a little longer
Every way love's a little stronger
Come what may
Do you ever long for true love from me

Everyday it's a-gettin' closer
Goin' faster than a rollercoaster
Love like yours will surely come my way
A-hey, a-hey-hey

Everyday seems a little longer
Every way love's a little stronger
Come what may
Do you ever long for true love from me

Everyday it's a-gettin' closer
Goin' faster than a rollercoaster
Love like yours will surely come my way
A-hey, a-hey-hey
Love like yours will surely come my way







No comments:

Post a Comment