Thursday, October 24, 2013

Week Seventy-Seven: Songs of 1977 - The Ramones - "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" - Rocket to Russia

In honor of my 36th birthday, which I will celebrate on Sunday, October 27th, for Week Seventy-Seven, I am going to cover songs from the year 1977, which just so happens to be the year of my birth!!!
~~~O~~~O~~~O~~~O~~~O~~~O~~~O~~~O~~~O~~~O~~~


This song is really special to me for an incredibly bizarre reason, and I can't even believe that I am sharing this with you --- but here goes...

I have now owned three dogs that I actually went to the city pound and picked out from all of the available doggies to come home and to be my very own. Each one of these pets has had a very distinct personality. The two dogs that I still own today are Pixie and Budgie. Pixie is a total hippie. She's very easy-going and an extreme pacifist. Budgie, on the other hand, is a complete gansta'. He growls at everything and is constantly trying to pick fights with dogs 10x's his size. My other little dog, Siouxsie, who passed away in 2007 due to kidney failure, was none other than... a punk rocker!!! :-D

I would sing this song to her, obviously changing the name Sheena to be replaced by the name Siouxsie. I would even make her do the pogo dance while I was singing it to her. I'll include a picture of my little Siouxsie below while she was on-guard to protect me from the picture taker while I was sleeping... she would have bitten his hand off if he had gotten any closer... that precious little dog loved me more that I can even put into words here, and I loved her back just the same!!!



(You can totally see the "come closer... I dare you" look in her eyes!!!)

"Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" was released somewhere between April and July of 1977, depending on which source you consult. I have already shared a cover of "Let's Dance" that The Ramones did, and I probably should have an entire week dedicated to them. Instead, I will include some of my favorites below today's lyrics called: "I Wanna Be Sedated", "Blitzkrieg Bop", "Do You Wanna Dance?" (cover), and "California Sun" (cover)

Additionally, I will include a patch that I have --- it was sewn on a jacket, but that jacket fell apart a few years ago --- and an album for the soundtrack to Rock 'N' Roll High School that a student gave me for Christmas one year. Apparently, his dad was cleaning out his closet and thought I might want it; so he brought it to school, along with a Starbucks card, just in case he was mistaken about the album! :-D





Another female who would have been a total punk rocker is Carmencita from the opera, Carmen. I had the pleasure of seeing the first dress rehearsal on Tuesday night. Donnie Wayne is crooning his heart away... Morrissey-style (as he likes to say)... as a soldier in The Dallas Opera production of Carmen. The scenery is breathtaking, and the singing brought tears to my eyes at certain points... and they weren't even necessarily giving it their all since it was a rehearsal. Friday night is opening night... go check it out!!! All of the pertinent info is on the back of the ticket below, along with Donnie Wayne's autograph!!! ;-)





Well the kids are all hopped up and ready to go
They're ready to go now
They've got their surfboards
And they're going to the discotheque a go go
But she just couldn't stay
She had to break away
Well New York City really has it all
Oh yeah, oh yeah

Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker now
Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker now
Well She's a punk punk, a punk rocker
Punk punk, a punk rocker
Punk punk, a punk rocker
Punk punk, a punk rocker

Well the kids are all hopped up and ready to go
They're ready to go now
They've got their surfboards
And they're going to the discotheque a go go
But she just couldn't stay
She had to break away
Well New York City really has it all
Oh yeah, oh yeah

Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker now
Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker now
Well She's a punk punk, a punk rocker
Punk punk, a punk rocker
Punk punk, a punk rocker
Punk punk, a punk rocker

Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker now
Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker now [x2]








No comments:

Post a Comment