Monday, October 7, 2013

Week Seventy-Five: Oktoberfest - Vrazels' Polka Band - "Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie Polka" - Polka Celebration

For months now, I have been promising my mother a Polka week. This blog is labeled as the soundtrack of my life after all, and Polka made up a huge portion of my younger years; so, Mother, here is your Polka week... I hope you enjoy it!!! For those of you who are not Polka fans --- well, first of all, shame on you, and secondly, stick with me for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and I promise that I will have a huge treat for you on Thursday... a tune you probably haven't heard in years!!!
#######################################

To begin, I should mention that I would not even be here today if it weren't for Polka because that is how my parents actually met --- at a Czech dance! You may remember me mentioning in one of my posts that my (German) grandmother and (Czech) grandfather spent a year reigning as the Polka King and Queen of Texas. They were part of a Polka club for as long as I can remember, and they had the time of their lives partying with those people. In fact, they had a routine of Mass (remember we're Catholic???) on Saturdays at 5:00 pm, to fulfill their Sunday obligation, followed by hours of dancing at whatever Czech hall had their favorite bands playing that weekend.

I'm including a picture of them wearing their dance costumes and crowns, as well as one of them on a float in one of the parades in which they participated. Sadly, they weren't dancing on this particular float... I loved it when they all danced on the floats:



"Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie Polka" is, hands down, my all-time favorite Polka ever!!! When I was a kid, I would make my grandfather, dad, uncles, or even my mother dance with me to this one... I love this song; it takes me back to simpler times... Please note that, in the lyrics, names can easily be changed; so I put those in brackets...

***The person who posted the Vrazels' version, which is the best, made it a private video; so I am having to post a new one, which is not anywhere near the quality of Vrazels' Polka Band, but the dancers are pretty nifty!!!**


I am here, I am there, I am everywhere
First I'm over here, and then I'm over there 
I am here, I am there, I am everywhere
Let's all play hide and seek 

Chorus
Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie
Who's not ready? Holler "I"
Let's all play hide and seek
Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie
Who's not ready? Holler "I"
Let's all play hide and seek 

Hiding here, hiding there, hiding everywhere
[Helen's] over here and [Jane] is over there now
Hiding here, hiding there, hiding everywhere
Let's all play hide and seek 

Repeat Chorus 

We are here, you are there, we are everywhere
[Dave] is way up here and [Debbie's] over there
We are here, you are there, we are everywhere
Let's all play hide and seek 


No comments:

Post a Comment