Monday, October 21, 2013

Week Seventy-Seven: Songs of 1977 - The Sex Pistols - "God Save the Queen" - Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols

In honor of my 36th birthday, which I will celebrate on Sunday, October 27th, for Week Seventy-Seven, I am going to cover songs from the year 1977, which just so happens to be the year of my birth!!!
~~~O~~~O~~~O~~~O~~~O~~~O~~~O~~~O~~~O~~~O~~~

I was looking through a long list of songs from 1977, and I was quite intrigued by the fact that so many pivotal punk tunes were released during the year of my birth. I think I mentioned, at one point, that I went through roughly a summer's worth of a punk phase, when I was in high school, after I got a wee bit tired of being goth... It was very short-lived, but I still possess and wear some of my super-cool plaid pants that I scored that summer at local thrift stores.

I also still possess a somewhat rare Sex Pistols shirt that I picked up in 1994 at Hairy's, which was located at Ferguson and Lakeland in Dallas. I say somewhat rare because I have only seen a few others here and there on eBay. Additionally, I still possess a few books about The Sex Pistols, Nancy Spungen (Sid's girlfriend), and Johnny Rotten --- all of which I will share pics or scans with you.










My love for the punk lifestyle may have been fleeting, but my love for The Sex Pistols will remain eternal!!!

"God Save the Queen" was released on May 27, 1977, in conjunction with Queen Elizabeth II's Silver Jubilee. Although Johnny Rotten has claimed that it was purely coincidental that it was released at precisely the same time as the Jubilee, as opposed to being intentional, I'm not so sure that I believe Mr. Rotten!!! There are obviously so many Sex Pistols tunes that I could share with you, but instead, I will share another one of their major hits, "Anarchy in the U.K." If they turn out to be your cup o' tea (yeah, I know that was a terrible English pun), you can easily locate their other tunes on YouTube.




God save the queen
It's a fascist regime
They made you a moron
A potential H-bomb

God save the queen
She ain't no human being
There is no future
In England's dreaming

Don't be told what you want
Don't be told what you need
There's no future, no future,
No future for you

God save the queen
We mean it man
We love our queen
God saves…

God save the queen
'Cause tourists are money
And our figurehead
Is not what she seems

Oh God save history
God save your mad parade
Oh Lord God have mercy
All crimes are paid

When there's no future
How can there be sin
We're the flowers in the dustbin
We're the poison in your human machine
We're the future, your future

God save the queen
We mean it man
We love our queen
God saves…

God save the queen
We mean it man
And there is no future
In England's dreaming

No future, no future,
No future for you
No future, no future,
No future for me

No future, no future,
No future for you
No future, no future
for you



No comments:

Post a Comment