Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Week Seventy-Five: Oktoberfest - Vrazels' Polka Band - "Aj Ja Sam (All By Myself) Polka" - Polka Celebration

For months now, I have been promising my mother a Polka week. This blog is labeled as the soundtrack of my life after all, and Polka made up a huge portion of my younger years; so, Mother, here is your Polka week... I hope you enjoy it!!! For those of you who are not Polka fans --- well, first of all, shame on you, and secondly, stick with me for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and I promise that I will have a huge treat for you on Thursday... a tune you probably haven't heard in years!!!
#######################################


My grandfather loved this one, and he would sing and whistle this tune for hours while working in his garage or in his garden. He was a fabulous whistler. In fact, if I recall correctly, I think he was the one who ultimately taught me to whistle.

He was also supposed to teach me how to speak Czech, but he never got around to it. My other Czech grandmother taught me how to say: "You are a monkey" and "You are a j@ck@ss"... If you ever run into me in public and would like to know how to say those phrases, I would be happy to teach you, but I'm not even about to attempt to type it out here... You'll see why when I post the Czech lyrics below for today's song.

I am also including a photo of a page out of my grandmother's scrapbook, as well as a photo of my grandparents in one of their other Czech costumes:





***The person who posted the Vrazels' version, which is the best, has now made the video private; so I am posting a new one, which is not the Vrazels' Polka Band, but this band sings the song both in English and in Czech



 A Já Sám

/: A já sám, vždycky sám, své koníčky osedlám :/
   Své koníčky okšíruju, svou panenku pomiluju
   A já sám, vždycky sám, své koníčky osedlám.

All By Myself

/: And me myself, always myself, I will saddle my horses :/
   I will saddle my horses, I will make love to my girlfriend.
   And me myself, always myself, I will saddle my horses.


1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, I am not homosexual. In technical fact, I am humasexual. I am attracted to humans. But, of course ... not many".

    MORRISSEY,
    Sweden, 19 October 2013.

    ReplyDelete