Thursday, May 2, 2013

Week Fifty-Two: Matthew Sweet - "I've Been Waiting" - Girlfriend

I loved the album cover for Girlfriend, so I will, of course, include a picture of it for you:



I never knew who it was on the cover, though, until I resorted to Wikipedia, and I discovered something even more interesting about the album:

"The cover of the album features a photograph of actress Tuesday Weld from the late 1950's. Originally called Nothing Lasts, the album was retitled following objections to the title from Weld."

Nothing Lasts was, more likely than not, a reference to the divorce he had just gone through, but apparently, Tuesday Weld did not like the idea of being the "poster child" for that!

Another interesting fact about this album was that it inspired a theater performance, so I will include the title track under the lyrics:

"A theatrical production, also titled Girlfriend and inspired by Sweet's album, debuted in 2010 at the Berkeley Repertory Theatre in Berkeley, CA. The play was written by Todd Almond with songs from the album Girlfriend as well as subsequent Matthew Sweet albums."


When you said to me
You are not so old
Did I know it then?
'Cause I had just been told

I didn't think I'd find you
Perfect in so many ways
But I've been waiting [waiting]
And I want to [have you]
I've been waiting [waiting]
And I want to

The secret on your lips
That nobody knows
Gentle in your eyes
You can wear my clothes

I didn't think I'd find you
Perfect in so many ways
But I've been waiting [waiting]
And I want to [have you]
I've been waiting [waiting]
And I want to [have you]
I've been waiting [waiting]
And I want to

I've been waiting [waiting]
I've been waiting [waiting]
I've been waiting [waiting]
I've been waiting [waiting]





No comments:

Post a Comment