Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Week Fifty-Six: 56 Years of Siouxsie Sioux - Siouxsie and the Banshees - "Oh Baby/Stargazer" - The Rapture

In honor of Siouxsie's 56th birthday, which was celebrated on May 27th, I am having another week to pay tribute to my favorite band in the whole wide world: Siouxsie and the Banshees.
<3 ** <3 ** <3 ** <3 ** <3 ** <3 ** <3

Most people that I know were not at all impressed by the 1995 release, The Rapture. I, on the other hand, absolutely loved it!!! In fact, I am giving you two tracks off the album today --- "Oh Baby" and "Stargazer". The Rapture tour was the first time that I ever got to see the band perform live. I wanted desperately to see them at Lollapalooza '91, but tickets sold out before I could even get my hands on my parents' credit card to try to acquire a pair. So I had to wait four more years. 

Today, I'll include a scan of my ticket stubs for the 1995 Bomb Factory show, as well as the 2004 Gypsy Tea Room show. I'll also include a pre-show newspaper clip and a post-show newspaper clip of the 1995 Bomb Factory show. In addition, I will include a pre-show mention of the 2004 Gypsy Tea Room show:








I'm including fan-made clips for both "Oh Baby" and "Stargazer", as well as a live performance for both songs that was aired on MTV's "Most Wanted":








The cracks in the ground grin up at me
Even the creases in my shoes smile up at me
Thought it would end in tragedy
But I'm swimming around in your glory
O Baby O maybe
I'm the lost and found
Look at the stars they're raining down
Even these jewels want to kiss your crown
Don't be afraid it's just your face
Has that effect on heavens' treasure case
O Baby O maybe
You're a paragon
I haven't felt this way before
Impossible to ask for more
Unanswered prayers that went before
Lie like leaves upon the floor
Hang all the world and universe
When I'm with you they always seem perverse
I'm in a state of weightlessness
When I inhale your angel breath
O Baby O maybe
I'm the lost and found




Been thinking how to escape?
This strait-jacket of constraint
Been thinking what can be wrong?
With feelings that long to belong
Stargazing me
In an upside down sea
So weary this strait-jacket dreamer
So resigned to continue to suffer
But you've learnt that as you grow weaker
There's less hurt because there's much less to hurt
Stargazing me
In a tumbling sea
Up in the galaxy
Staring down on me
Stargazer reach out to touch
With your mind that frees you so much
Stargazer kissing your kismet
With bright jewel encrusted scars
Stargazing me
In tranquility
Up in the galaxy
Staring down on me

And I have to include another track from the album that I really, really like, as well. This one is called "Forever" and was set to one of their live performances at the 100 Club so that you can see the inside of it:




No comments:

Post a Comment