Monday, May 27, 2013

Week Fifty-Six: 56 Years of Siouxsie Sioux - Siouxsie and the Banshees - "Red Over White" - The Thorn

In honor of Siouxsie's 56th birthday, which will be celebrated today, May 27th, I am having another week to pay tribute to my favorite band in the whole wide world: Siouxsie and the Banshees.
<3 ** <3 ** <3 ** <3 ** <3 ** <3 ** <3


From the very moment that I laid eyes on this band back in 1991, when I saw the video for "Kiss Them For Me" on MTV, it was love at first sight. I adored their exotic looks and orchestral instrumentation, and they had that "wall of sound" that Phil Spector was such an expert at creating. And Siouxsie... well, she was just breath-taking!!!

I had to learn as much as I could about this band, and without the convenience of the internet, I had nowhere else to turn but the library. At that time, my closest branch of the library had an Encyclopedia of Rock Music that was kept at the reference desk and was not available for checkout. I thumbed through that encyclopedia and found a teensy write-up about the band, which of course I photocopied and still have to this very day:


It was not until a few years later that I discovered that they debuted at the 100 Club. When I finally made it over to London in 1995, I made it a point to stop by the 100 Club, and I'll share some of my photos of that, as well:




And I first heard today's song, "Red Over White", when I acquired a copy of The Thorn. In fact, I will include a photo of my very own album:



I've included a fan-made YouTube video below:



the woods and the town
covered in snow
all transformed to a fairytale
like the fresh page of a book opened up
ready
waiting
for the story to begin
for you're all in a scene
objects in black ink
fringed in white
breathing and living
and anticipating
a colour
all transformed to a fairytale
unreal and inviting
inviting you to step in
and follow the path neverending

you're now leaving
imprints
and somehow expecting
expecting someone

maybe the prince in disguise
suffering a snow queen curse
but you're wrong of course
it's in reverse

out in the snow
muffled
the last silent night
the last sacrifice
red running over white
red running over white
red
running over white
red
running over white
running red
over white
running red
over white

red over white
red over white
red
over white

(Thorn version adds:)

running red over white
running red over white
all (oh?) red over white
running red
over white
running red
over white
red over white
red over white
all (oh?) red
over white

all (oh?) red

over white

And in 1996, Cleopatra Records released Reflections in the Looking Glass: A Tribute to Siouxsie and the Banshees, on which The Shroud covered this tune and did a phenomenal job, I might add!!! I will include a pic of the CD cover below, as well as a YouTube clip of their version:






No comments:

Post a Comment