Thursday, May 23, 2013

Week Fifty-Five: The Smiths & 54 Years of Moz - "Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want" - Hatful of Hollow

In honor of Morrissey's 54th birthday, which will be celebrated this Wednesday, May 22nd, I am having The Smiths week; however, most of my stories surrounding The Smiths are far too personal to share with the world, so I am resorting to a lovely book I once happened upon called The Smiths: All Men Have Secrets. This book was the original inspiration for my blog as it recounts tales of the meanings particular songs hold for their listeners... Happy Birthday, my dearest Moz!!!

  

@::@::@::@::@::@::@::@::@::@::@::@::@

Today, I will share with you a DVD that is one of the best documentaries that I have seen about this band, and it is called The Smiths: Under Review. I lucked out on acquiring a copy of this one. My ex, who wrote for a music magazine, was supposed to return the materials after reviewing them, but he told his boss that he misplaced this particular DVD. Since no one at the magazine was particularly fond of The Smiths, it turned out to be "no big deal" to them...but a very "big deal" to me!!!











She & Him covered this one for the film, (500) Days of Summer, and although a lot of people think it kind of sucked, I really kind of liked it and will include it below:




Oh, and just one more thing... if you are ever looking for a quick and enjoyable read with references galore to the band, pick up a copy of How Soon is Never? by Marc Spitz. You won't regret it... I've read it at least twice now...





No comments:

Post a Comment