Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Week Fifty-Five: The Smiths & 54 Years of Moz - "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" - The Queen is Dead


In honor of Morrissey's 54th birthday, which will be celebrated this Wednesday, May 22nd, I am having The Smiths week; however, most of my stories surrounding The Smiths are far too personal to share with the world, so I am resorting to a lovely book I once happened upon called The Smiths: All Men Have Secrets. This book was the original inspiration for my blog as it recounts tales of the meanings particular songs hold for their listeners... Happy Birthday, my dearest Moz!!!

  

@::@::@::@::@::@::@::@::@::@::@::@::@

And since I opened the week with my favorite song by The Smiths, I will celebrate Morrissey's actual birthday with my second favorite song by them. I remember reading somewhere that Morrissey was once quoted saying something along the lines of there is a light that never goes out...and it's called hope! In fact, I took some time, scoured the web, and located the exact quote so that I could share it with you: 


"When you’re a teenager and in your early twenties it seems desperately eternal and excruciatingly painful. Whereas as you grow older you realise that most things are excruciatingly painful and that is the human condition. Most of us continue to survive because we’re convinced that somewhere along the line, with grit and determination and perseverance, we will end up in some magical union with somebody. It’s a fallacy, of course, but it’s a form of religion. You have to believe. There is a light that never goes out and it’s called hope." 
- Morrissey


I will also share with you another fun page from the Italian lyrics book:













And last but not least, local favorites, Sunglasses & Sugar, have been known to cover this tune at their live shows around Dallas. I didn't get a chance to make it to the show from where I've pulled this particular YouTube clip, so it was definitely a treat to know this was in existence...






No comments:

Post a Comment