Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Week Forty-Two: XTC - "Making Plans for Nigel" - Drums and Wires

The person that I most associate with the band, XTC, is Chris, who is the husband of my best friend, Cecilia. Now, before I tell you about Chris, let me rewind a bit and tell you about Cecilia.

When we were growing up (and I've known her since we were 4-years-old), Cecilia always told me that she was going to marry a Korean guy. I'm not sure when her Korean guy obsession began, but all throughout high school and college, she only dated Korean guys.

Therefore, you can only imagine my complete surprise when I finally met Chris, who is whiter than white and blonder than blonde!!! Chris was a computer nerd who loved heavy metal... and XTC --- yeah, I'm not sure how that combo of musical interests came about either. Oh, and Cecilia hated XTC for some reason.

Cecilia would always joke about how she never saw it coming that she would end up with someone like Chris... so one day, I thought I would get clever and respond with: "Well, it looks like someone was Making Plans for Nigel... I mean Chris... I mean Nigel..." :-D

I found it to be hilarious, but she was so sick of listening to XTC that I seriously thought she was going to punch me in the face...

I'm including another one of my favorites by them called "Senses Working Overtime" below the lyrics...




We're only making plans for Nigel 
We only want what's best for him 
We're only making plans for Nigel 
Nigel just needs this helping hand 
And if young Nigel says he's happy 
He must be happy 
He must be happy 
He must be happy, in his world
We're only making plans for Nigel 
He has his future in a British steel 
We're only making plans for Nigel 
Nigel's whole future is as good as sealed 
And if young Nigel says he's happy 
He must be happy
He must be happy 
He must be happy, in his world 
Nigel is not outspoken 
But he likes to speak 
And loves to be spoken to 
Nigel is happy in his work 
We're only making plans for Nigel



No comments:

Post a Comment