Monday, February 18, 2013

Week Forty-Two: XTC - "Dear God" - Skylarking

I am sure that most of you have heard that the Pope is resigning. If you got around to reading my Sarah McLachlan/Delerium post on the song, "Silence", you might remember me making mention of the fact that I had turned in my resignation for next year, after teaching at a Catholic school for what is now my 9th year.

So I have been joking with everyone that the Pope must have heard about my resignation and then decided that he couldn't go on without me; therefore, he "threw in the towel" too!!! (Okay, it's a joke --- if you find it offensive, the only advice I have to offer you is: "Get over yourself... and stop reading now because you will definitely find the rest of this post offensive too!!!")

I know so many individuals - friends and family included - who have just flat out left the Catholic church to practice other religions. Their sentiments closely mirror some of the ideas in the lyrics to this song. I approach the whole religion thing from a "cafeteria Catholic" standpoint - I take what I like and leave the rest behind. 

If you want to know the truth, though, I learned more about God and spirituality and faith in the rooms of AA, while trying to sober up, with other alcoholics and misfits, than I ever did in all my years of Catholic school! Please don't misunderstand me; I do believe in God, and there are many aspects of the Catholic faith that I adore --- I think the saints are pretty nifty, and I totally dig all the pomp and circumstance when it comes to incense and statues and candles and robes and such... there are just some teachings that I could completely do without!!!

Since I still have to finish out a few months at my current job and since I will be so fired if anyone happens upon this post prior to the end of my contract, I better snap my trap shut now!!! :-D

Also, since I mentioned Sarah McLachlan in this post, it kind of works out nicely that she did a cover of this song; so I will include that below the lyrics...

And as a side note, I would also like to say: "R.I.P. Mr. Shadow Morton"... He was the genius behind many of the hits by The Shangri-Las, and he passed away on Valentine's Day...




Dear God
Hope You get the letter
And I pray You can make it better
Down here
I don't mean a big reduction in the price of beer
But all the people that You made in your image
See them starving on their feet
'Cause they don't get enough to eat 
From God
I can't believe in You


Dear God
Sorry to disturb 
You but I feel that I should be heard 
Loud and clear
We all need a big reduction in amount of tears
And all the people that You made in Your image
See them fighting in the street
'Cause they can't make opinions meet
About God
I can't believe in You


Did You make disease and the diamond blue?
Did You make mankind after we made You?
And the devil too?


Dear God
Don't know if you noticed 
But Your name is on a lot of quotes in 
This book
Us crazy humans wrote it, You should take a look
And all the people that You made in your image
Still believing that junk is true
Well I know it ain't, and so do You
Dear God


I can't believe in...
I don't believe...
I won't believe in heaven and hell
No saints, no sinners, no devil as well
No pearly gates, no thorny crown
You're always letting us humans down
The wars You bring, the babes You drown
Those lost at sea and never found
And it's the same the whole world 'round
The hurt I see helps to compound
That Father, Son and Holy Ghost
Is just somebody's unholy hoax
And if You're up there You'll perceive
That my heart's here upon my sleeve
If there's one thing I don't believe in
It's you
Dear God 



No comments:

Post a Comment