Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Week Forty-One: Classic Country - Buck Owens - "My Heart Skips a Beat" - Classic Country (1960-1964) [Disc 1]

+ Happy Ash Wednesday!!! +

Buck Owens is a good ol' Texas boy, who was born in Sherman in 1929. The reason I know this is because, in addition to teaching literature, I also teach Texas History. My students have to complete bellringers before class begins, and one of those bellringers just so happens to be about Buck Owens. It would also be apropos to mention that Buck Owens co-hosted Hee-Haw for many years, since I mentioned that show in this week's opening post.  Buck Owens is another artist who ranks very highly on my list of Classic Country all-time favorites!!!

Not too long ago, iTunes offered a cover of this song, by a band called The Secret Sisters, as their free weekly tune. At first, I cringed and thought to myself: "You cannot be serious!" I gave it a listen, though, and it was actually surprisingly good; so I will include a youtube clip for it below the lyrics.

I will also include a clip of "Above and Beyond" by Buck Owens because it is another sweet little tune! Check out the phone that Faron uses to "call" Buck in the intro. My grandparents had one of those in their house at Lake Whitney... it's freakin' awesome... it doesn't work or anything, but my dad inherited it after my grandparents passed away, along with all of their other super-cool antique possessions...




Oh, my heart skips a beat
When we walk down the street
I feel a trembling in my knees
And just to know you're mine
Until the end of time
Makes my heart skip a beat


Well I did a double take the day I met you
My heart turned a flip as I stood next to you
And I knew right there I never could forget you
For you are my every dream come true
And my heart skips a beat...


You came into my life without a warning
And you turned my cloudy skies from grey to blue
You're my sunshine that comes up every morning
Yes, you are my every dream come true
And my heart skips a beat...















No comments:

Post a Comment