Monday, March 3, 2014

Week Ninety-Six: The Pretenders - "Stop Your Sobbing" - Pretenders


When I was in college in Denton, TX, I used to frequent the local coffee hangout, Kharma Cafe, more than I would ever care to admit. On Sunday evenings, one of my favorite baristas, who was a Dance major at TWU, would often be rocking out to The Pretenders.

I wasn't introduced to The Pretenders this way because I distinctly remember owning a copy of this album on cassette, popping it into the tape deck, and blasting it in my 1987 Hyundai Excel. However, I will always remember her bopping behind the counter and lip-synching to this song in her best Chrissie Hynde impersonation.

Interestingly enough, when I would, many years later, spend more time than I would also care to admit at the coffee shop inside Half Price Books, I heard this album played over and over yet again, minus the baristas imitating Chrissie. I'm not sure what it is about The Pretenders and coffeehouses, but it just seems to work.

"Stop Your Sobbing" is a cover of a song by The Kinks, but it is the first single released by The Pretenders. Since they have so many amazing songs that I want to cover this week, I am also going to include two others off this album: "Kid", which was the second single they released, and "Brass in Pocket", which was their first chart-topper...




It is time for you to stop all of your sobbing
Yes it's time for you to stop all of your sobbing oh oh oh
There's one thing you gotta do
To make me still want you
Gotta stop sobbing now
Yeah yeah stop it stop it

It is time for you to laugh instead of crying
Yes it's time for you to laugh so keep on trying oh oh oh
There's one thing you gotta do
To make me still want you
Gotta stop sobbing now
Yeah yeah stop it stop it

Each little tear that falls from your eyes
Makes, makes me want
To take you in my arms and tell you
To stop all your sobbing

There's one thing you gotta do
To make me still want you
And there's one thing you gotta know
To make me want you so
Gotta stop sobbing now
Yeah yeah stop it stop it




No comments:

Post a Comment