Monday, March 24, 2014

Week Ninety-Nine: Songs of '99 - The Creatures - "Say" - Anima Animus

For Week Ninety-Nine, I'm going to cover songs/albums that were released in '99
@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@


When I heard that The Creatures were releasing a new album in '99, I could barely contain my excitement because I knew that it would also mean a tour in support of the album. The Creatures did, indeed, stop by Deep Ellum Live on May 1, 1999. I already posted my ticket stub for you when I covered "Standing There" during Week Thirty, but I will include it for you again today:


At the concert, I picked up a fancy little concert promo pack with a book and some postcards, and I will also include scans of all of that for you, as well:










Today's song, "Say", was written about Billy Mackenzie's suicide. He was a member of the band, The Associates. I'll post what Wikipedia has to say in regard to some interesting trivia about Mackenzie and today's song:

"Morrissey of The Smiths was said by Craig Gannon of The Smiths to have written the song 'William, It Was Really Nothing' about Mackenzie, after a brief friendship together."

"On 22 January 1997, depression and the death of his mother are believed to have contributed to Mackenzie's suicide. He overdosed on a combination of paracetamol and prescription medication in the garden shed of his father's house in Auchterhouse. He was 39 years old. Now a significant cult figure, much of his musical legacy has been released in the past few years. He was the subject of a biography by Tom Doyle, The Glamour Chase, in 1998."

"The Cure song 'Cut Here' written by Robert Smith, a friend of Mackenzie, is about the regret Robert felt about seeing Mackenzie a few weeks before his death backstage at a Cure concert and not giving him any of his 'precious time' and fobbing him off."

"Siouxsie Sioux wrote the song 'Say', revealing in the lyrics that they were going to meet just before his death. The song was released as The Creatures' single in 1999 and charted in the UK Top 75."

I will also include two of my other favorites off the album, "Prettiest Thing" and "Exterminating Angel"...


I heard the news today 
Billy's gone away 
Left us all for good 
No one understood 
You only had to say 
I would understand 
You only had to say 
Whatever come what may 
I was feeling low 
You called and you were too 
We'd meet Saturday 
It happened on Wednesday 
You only had to say 
It's sad 
I would understand 
I don't want you brave 
A truce we made today 
If you're feeling sad 
On me you can depend 
You only have to say



No comments:

Post a Comment