Monday, March 17, 2014

Week Ninety-Eight: Luck o' the Irish - Sinead O'Connor - "Mandinka" - The Lion and the Cobra

In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I will be covering Irish artists and bands
(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)*(*)

Most people remember Sinead O'Connor for either her cover of Prince's song, "Nothing Compares 2 U" or for her shenanigans (i.e., tearing up a picture of the Pope on television). However, I'm here to tell you that Sinead had far better songs than "Nothing Compares 2 U", and they will be presented to you today in the forms of "Mandinka", "The Emperor's New Clothes" and "I Want Your (Hands on Me)" which also features MC Lyte.

And since you should know by now how much I favor music trivia, I will offer you a few interesting facts from Wikipedia:

"The photograph of O'Connor on the album cover was taken by Haysi Fantayzee member Kate Garner. The U.S. cover differed from the European release, as it was felt a more subdued pose would present a 'softer' image of O'Connor." --- You may recall that I covered Haysi Fantayzee during Week Twenty.

And here's another fun fact from Wikipedia:

"In an interview in The Tech, 12 April 1988, O'Connor said:'Mandinkas are an African tribe. They're mentioned in a book called Roots by Alex Haley, which is what the song is about. In order to understand it you must read the book.'"






I'm dancing the seven veils 
Want you to pick up my scarf 
See how the black moon fades 
Soon I can give you my heart 
I don't know no shame 
I feel no pain 
I can't see the flame 
But I do know Man-din-ka 
I do know Man-din-ka 
I do know Man-din-ka 
I do 
They're throwing it all this way 
Dragging it back to the start 
And they say, "See how the glass is raised?" 
I have refused to take part 
I told them "drink something new" 
Please let me pull something through 
I don't know no shame 
I feel no pain 
I can't 
I don't know no shame 
I feel no pain 
I can't see the flame 
But I do know Man-din-ka 
I do know Man-din-ka 
I do know Man-din-ka 
I do 
I do 
I do 
I say I do 
Soon I can give you my heart 
I swear I do 
Soon I can give you my heart 
I do 
Mandinka 
Soon I can give you my heart 
Soon I can give you my heart 
Soon I can give you my heart









No comments:

Post a Comment