Monday, March 10, 2014

Week Ninety-Seven: 90's Power Ballads - Mr. Big - "To Be With You" - Lean Into It

Definition (from Urban Dictionary): power ballad 

1. any song written by a hairband that is sung and not screamed.

2. any song that creates suicidal thoughts in teenage girls of the 80's.

3. any song that played at a prom from 1981-1995.
*******************************************************

So I was asking myself what it is that my blog might be lacking, and the little voice inside my head answered: "Power ballads!!!" --- oh, puh-leeez, don't even act like you are without a little voice inside your head that answers you from time to time...  :-D

I'm going to start with my favorite 90's power ballad from a band called Mr. Big --- I wonder if that's how they came up with the name for the character on Sex and the City... hmmmmmmm????

Anytime the radio station that I listened to at that time, either Y95 or Power95 (94.9 on the dial), played this one, it would be blasting out of my boombox, with me singing along at the top of my lungs.

And if you don't like this song, then there must be something seriously wrong with you --- you don't have to openly admit to the world that you like it, as I'm doing here today --- but at least admit to yourself that you like it!!!

Mr. Big also covered "Wild World" by Cat Stevens, and I'll include that one for you today too!!! 



(Verse 1)
Hold on little girl
Show me what he's done to you
Stand up little girl
A broken heart can't be that bad
When it's through, it's through 
Fate will twist the both of you 
So come on baby come on over 
Let me be the one to show you

(Chorus)
I'm the one who wants to be with you
Deep inside I hope you feel it too
Waited on a line of greens and blues
Just to be the next to be with you

(Verse 2)
Build up your confidence
So you can be on top for once
Wake up who cares about 
Little boys that talk too much
I've seen it all go down 
Your game of love was all rained out
So come on baby, come on over
Let me be the one to hold you

(Chorus) 
I'm the one who wants to be with you
Deep inside I hope you feel it too
Waited on a line of greens and blues
Just to be the next to be with you

(Verse 3)
Why be alone when we can be together baby
You can make my life worthwhile
And I can make you start to smile

(Instrumental)

(Verse 4)
When it's through, it's through 
Fate will twist the both of you 
Come on baby come on over 
Let me be the one to show you

(Chorus) x 2
I'm the one who wants to be with you!
Deep inside I hope you feel it too!
Waited on a line of greens and blues!
Just to be the next to be with you!
Just to be the next to be with you!



No comments:

Post a Comment