Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Week Eighty-One: Radiohead - "Karma Police" - OK Computer

Many of the area Catholic high schools require their students to complete service hours every year, and many of them also require the Seniors to go off campus at least once a week in order to complete additional service.

So every Wednesday, when I was still teaching, a group of three or four Seniors would come instruct my 8th grade Literature classes. Fortunately, for me, the individual who was in charge of this program and these particular Seniors was also married to one of the employees who worked in our Church office. This meant that I was sent the "cream of the crop" from this particular high school.

One year, one of the students was this really cool black guy from England. His favorite band was Radiohead, and when the poetry unit came around, he decided to cover some Radiohead lyrics. For one of the lessons, he brought his guitar and sang this song to the class. It was phenomenal!!!

I don't think the students enjoyed the lessons even half as much as I did, but then again, most of them listened to Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber --- if that tells you anything!!!





Karma police, arrest this man
He talks in maths
He buzzes like a fridge
He's like a detuned radio

Karma police, arrest this girl
Her Hitler hairdo is
Making me feel ill
And we have crashed her party

This is what you get
This is what you get
This is what you get when you mess with us

Karma police
I've given all I can
It's not enough
I've given all I can
But we're still on the payroll

This is what you get
This is what you get
This is what you get when you mess with us

And for a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself
Phew, for a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself

For for a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself
Phew, for a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself

No comments:

Post a Comment