Thursday, November 14, 2013

Week Eighty: Electronic - "Tighten Up" - Electronic

In honor of Johnny Marr passing through Dallas a few days ago and stopping by The Granada Theater - (I unfortunately did not make it out to the show), I figured that I would cover Electronic this week, as I promised you I eventually would...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


This song is such a fantastic way to close out this week! It seriously gets me so pumped every time I hear it!!!

This was another one that I had to consult Wikipedia on, and I'm so glad that I did because I could not have written better descriptions of the song, no matter how hard I tried, than the ones posted there that originally appeared in Melody Maker and Vox:

"Writing in Melody Maker, Paul Lester described the song as: the devastating marriage of Smiths guitars and New Order technology that nervously excited fans the globe over were anticipating from Electronic. Imagine a sublime splicing of 'Bigmouth Strikes Again' and 'Dream Attack', then multiply by 12. In Vox, Keith Cameron wrote: 'Tighten Up' gives Marr a chance to relive The Smiths' halcyon days with an exhilarating semi-acoustic dynamism."

If you get a chance, you should, at the bare minimum, try to check out all of Electronic's songs from their very first release entitled Electronic; they can be very easily located on YouTube!!!


It's never too late I heard you say
How can you turn and go away
I'm staking my claim to some degree
Don't bring the secret home to me
Better to live than to know
Better the noise that we love than hate
Remember the moments we've got
Whenever I feel like I CAN'T ESCAPE.

There used to be a way but there ain't no more
Tell me why because we need it
I used to run away but I can't no more
'Cause I feel that I can beat it
There used to be a way but there ain't no more

How can we be free? We both need each other like
Sister and brother. You mean that much to me
Better to live than to know
Better the noise that we love than hate
Remember the moments we've left
Whenever I feel I CAN'T ESCAPE. 

I'm never gonna do what you want me to





No comments:

Post a Comment