Thursday, September 19, 2013

Week Seventy-Two: Sirius Satellite Radio - 1st Wave - Channel 33 - Elvis Costello and the Attractions - "Everyday I Write the Book" - Punch the Clock

One of the perks of buying a new vehicle is that they provide you with trial subscriptions to all kinds of fancy services. My new Focus came with a six-month trial subscription to Sirius Satellite Radio, which means that I immediately searched for the New Wave station. Not only did I find 1st Wave, but I also found Richard Blade. He is one of the DJs on the station. You might remember that I had a Richard Blade Week right around Spring Break. So I am going to cover some of my forgotten favorites that Richard Blade plays for me over the course of this week on 1st Wave.
:-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)


I heard this one on my way to work yesterday. Every time I hear Elvis Costello, it reminds me of the spectacular film, 200 Cigarettes. If you have not seen that film, you owe it to yourself to watch it in the near future. It has an amazing cast, and Elvis Costello makes a cameo in the film towards the end. I'll include a scan of my copy on VHS:



Although most people might not agree with me, I think that there is something super-adorable about Elvis Costello. However, "Everyday I Write the Book" is not my favorite Costello song, so I am also including "Oliver's Army", which is my favorite, as well as Costello's cover of "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding". Not too long ago, I included the cover of the exact same song by Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs.

Additionally, since Elvis Costello is married to Diana Krall, and since we use two of her songs to "warm-up" in my tap classes on Saturdays, I am also including her cover of "The Frim-Fram Sauce" and her cover of "Pick Yourself Up"...




Don't tell me you don't know what love is
When you're old enough to know better
WHEN YOU FIND STRANGE HANDS IN YOUR SWEATER
When your dreamboat turns out to be a footnote
I'm a man with a mission in two or three editions
And I'm giving you a longing look
Everyday, everyday, everyday I write the book

Chapter One we didn't really get along
Chapter Two I think I fell in love with you
You said you'd stand by me in the middle of Chapter Three
But you were up to your old tricks in Chapters Four, Five and Six

The way you walk
The way you talk, and try to kiss me, and laugh
In four or five paragraphs
All your compliments and your cutting remarks
Are captured here in my quotation marks

Don't tell me you don't know the difference
Between a lover and a fighter
With my pen and my electric typewriter
Even in a perfect world where everyone was equal

I'd still own the film rights and be working on the sequel











No comments:

Post a Comment