Thursday, September 5, 2013

Week Seventy: Mythology in Songs - They Might Be Giants - "Birdhouse in Your Soul" - Flood

Inspired by my trip to The Dallas Museum of Art this past Sunday to see The Body Beautiful in Ancient Greece exhibit, for Week Seventy, I am going to offer you selections that have mythological references in the lyrics:


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

For months, I have been trying to figure out how to work in They Might Be Giants!!! Little did I know that they would fit into this week quite perfectly!!!

First, though, I have to tell you a funny little tale... So I am going to part ways with my Ford Ranger this weekend and trade it in for a new vehicle... the one that I have ultimately settled on is a Kia Soul. As I was listening to this song as I was preparing this post, I kept singing: "Make a little birdhouse in your [Kia] soul..." Seriously, guys and gals, it's the little things in life that can absolutely make my day!!!

The mythological reference, of course, is the story of Jason and the Argonauts. If you don't know that tale, then take some time and look it up because what I am going to share with you today instead is the meaning behind the song, according to Wikipedia, because I never knew that this was its meaning:

"The song tells the story, in very abstract terms, of a nightlight with the appearance of a blue canary, from the point of view of the nightlight itself. The summation of its opening statements ('I'm your only friend; I'm not your only friend, but I'm a little glowing friend, but really I'm not actually your friend; but I am') reveals that while it is not really a friend in the traditional sense of the word, its job as a nocturnal protector of its owner (the listener) makes it their only friend while they sleep. It tells the listener to make a birdhouse (being a safe place for something small and vulnerable) for the light it creates in their mind and soul.

The nightlight then goes on to proclaim its identity ('my name is blue canary; one note, spelled L-I-T-E'), and that it will always serve its intended purpose to the listener and their room. It references a picture in the room, probably a lighthouse ('There's a picture opposite me of my primitive ancestry, which stood on rocky shores and kept the beaches shipwreck-free'), and states that while it respects the job a lighthouse does, but would cause shipwrecks if it tried to serve as a lighthouse itself ('Though I respect that a lot, I'd be fired if that were my job, after killing Jason off and countless screaming Argonauts'). It is simply a 'guardian angel' for its friend and owner.

As the song fades, the line 'while you're at it, keep the night-lite on inside the birdhouse in your soul' echoes the chorus, essentially telling the listener to keep all the good things that provide light in their soul protected."

I will also include two of my other favorites by them: "Don't Let's Start" and "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)"...


I'm your only friend
I'm not your only friend
But I'm a little glowing friend
But really I'm not actually your friend
But I am

Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch
Who watches over you
Make a little birdhouse in your soul
Not to put too fine a point on it
Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet
Make a little birdhouse in your soul

I have a secret to tell
From my electrical well
It's a simple message and I'm leaving out the whistles and bells
So the room must listen to me
Filibuster vigilantly
My name is blue canary one word spelled l-i-t-e
My story's infinite
Like the Longines Symphonette it doesn't rest

Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch
Who watches over you
Make a little birdhouse in your soul
Not to put too fine a point on it
Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet
Make a little birdhouse in your soul

I'm your only friend
I'm not your only friend
But I'm a little glowing friend
But really I'm not actually your friend
But I am

There's a picture opposite me
Of my primitive ancestry
Which stood on rocky shores and kept the beaches shipwreck free
Though I respect that a lot
I'd be fired if that were my job
After killing Jason off and countless screaming Argonauts
Bluebird of friendliness
Like guardian angels its always near

Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch
Who watches over you
Make a little birdhouse in your soul
Not to put too fine a point on it
Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet
Make a little birdhouse in your soul

(and while you're at it
Keep the nightlight on inside the
Birdhouse in your soul)

Not to put too fine a point on it
Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet
Make a little birdhouse in your soul

Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch (and while you're at it)
Who watches over you (keep the nightlight on inside the)
Make a little birdhouse in your soul (birdhouse in your soul)

Not to put too fine a point on it
Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet
Make a little birdhouse in your soul

Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch (and while you're at it)
Who watches over you (keep the nightlight on inside the)
Make a little birdhouse in your soul (birdhouse in your soul)

Not to put too fine a point on it
Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet
Make a little birdhouse in your soul 



No comments:

Post a Comment