Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Week Seventy-Two: Sirius Satellite Radio - 1st Wave - Channel 33 - The Replacements - "Alex Chilton" - Pleased to Meet Me

One of the perks of buying a new vehicle is that they provide you with trial subscriptions to all kinds of fancy services. My new Focus came with a six-month trial subscription to Sirius Satellite Radio, which means that I immediately searched for the New Wave station. Not only did I find 1st Wave, but I also found Richard Blade. He is one of the DJs on the station. You might remember that I had a Richard Blade Week right around Spring Break. So I am going to cover some of my forgotten favorites that Richard Blade plays for me over the course of this week on 1st Wave.
:-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)


I heard this one as soon as I got in my car around 5:00 p.m. yesterday. This song pays tribute to the lead singer of the band, Big Star. You might remember that not too long ago, I had a week dedicated to the memoir, Love is a Mix Tape, by Rob Sheffield. If you ever got around to reading it, you might also remember that Big Star was one of Rob's and Renee's favorite bands. So in addition to posting the video for today's song, I am also going to include the song, "September Gurls", by Big Star. Is anyone else having a difficult time believing that we are already more than halfway through September and will soon be wrapping up 2013?!?!?!?

Also, Paul Westerberg, who was one of the members of The Replacements, had a solo career, and he contributed two songs to the soundtrack for the film, Singles, which I also mentioned not too long ago. Those splendid little tunes, you may recall, were titled "Dyslexic Heart" and "Waiting for Somebody"; the videos for both are included below.

And since I don't want to steal all of the glory away from The Replacements, I'll include another favorite called "I'll Be You"...


If he was from Venus, would he feed us with a spoon?
If he was from Mars, wouldnt that be cool
Standing right on campus, would he stamp us in a pile?
Hangin' down in Memphis all the while

(Chorus)
Children by the million sing for Alex Chilton when he comes 'round
They sing "I'm in love. What's that song?
I'm in love with that song."

Cerebral rape and pillage in a village of his choice.
Invisible man who can sing in a visible voice.
Feeling like a hundred bucks, exchange good lucks face to face.
Checkin' his stash by the trash at St. Mark's place.

(Repeat chorus)

I never travel far, without a little Big Star

(Instrumental break)

Runnin' 'round the house, Mickey Mouse and the Tarot cards.
Falling asleep with a box tops video on.
If he was from Venus, would he meet us on the moon?
If he died in Memphis, then that'd be cool, babe.

(Repeat chorus)





No comments:

Post a Comment