Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Week Seventy-One: James - "Laid" - Laid

Even though most people think this song was released around the time of the American Pie films, it was actually released in 1993. In fact, either Josh or Alex would play it on The Adventure Club on The EDGE because I won a copy of this CD by calling into the show. I remember my dad handing me the CD after he picked it up from the station and asking: "What the hell kind of music is this?!?!?!" The cover, if you recall, has the band members wearing dresses and eating bananas.



Matt Nathanson covered the song, and it was included on the soundtrack for the film, American Wedding. You may remember me mentioning in my post for "The Mayor of Simpleton" by XTC that I have a snow globe collection. In this collection, there are a few really, really strange ones. In fact, if you recall the scene referred to as "grooming the groom", I have a snow globe of that scene that was a promotional offer when you purchased the DVD. It was actually my mother who purchased that DVD, but since she knew that I had a snow globe collection, she happily handed it over to me. If you do not remember the "grooming the groom" scene, then I will let Wikipedia fill you in:

"As the ceremony draws near, a series of mishaps occur, including Jim's grandmother being displeased that Michelle is not Jewish and Jim shaving his pubic hair, then disposing of it too close to a vent that causes it to be set loose all over the wedding cake."

And here's a photo of my snow globe:



Another interesting fact that I learned about the song, "Laid", while I was consulting Wikipedia is the following:

"'Laid' was also covered by New Orleans alt-rock band Better Than Ezra on their 2005 greatest hits compilation."

You may recall that I covered the band, Better Than Ezra, just a few short weeks ago!!


This bed is on fire
With passionate love
The neighbors complain about the noises above
But she only comes when she's on top

My therapist said not to see you no more
She said you're like a disease without any cure
She said I'm so obsessed that I'm becoming a bore, oh no
Ah, you think you're so pretty

Caught your hand inside a till
Slammed your fingers in the door
Fought with kitchen knives and skewers
Dressed me up in women's clothes
Messed around with gender roles
Dye my eyes and call me pretty

Moved out of the house, so you moved next door
I locked you out, you cut a hole in the wall
I found you sleeping next to me, I thought I was alone
You're driving me crazy, when are you coming home

Laid
Laid

No comments:

Post a Comment