Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Week One Hundred and Four: Marie Antoinette Soundtrack - The Radio Dept. - "I Don't Like It Like This" - Soundtrack

I know that I have already made mention of a few songs off the Marie Antoinette Soundtrack --- like "Ceremony" (New Order), "Kings of the Wild Frontier" (Adam Ant), and "I Want Candy", "Aphrodisiac" and "Fools Rush In" (Bow Wow Wow) --- but there are so many additional songs on that soundtrack that are phenomenal, and I have chosen to cover those for you this week


/\/\@/\/\@/\/\@/\/\@/\/\@/\/\@/\/\@/\/\@/\/\@

I can honestly say that I had never even heard of The Radio Dept. until I viewed this film, which is a bit shocking since not one... not two... but three of their amazing songs end up on this soundtrack. So, in addition to "I Don't Like It Like This", I will also include "Pulling Our Weight" and "Keen On Boys"...

I'll have to resort to some tid-bits of info from Wikipedia for you today:

"The Radio Dept. is a dream pop band from Lund, Sweden signed to Labrador Records."

"The band was conceived in 1995 by schoolmates Elin Almered and Johan Duncanson, who named the group after a gas-station-turned-radio-repair-shop called 'Radioavdelningen' (Swedish for The Radio Department)."

"The Radio Dept. are related to such genres as alternative rock, dream pop, indie pop, shoegazing and twee pop, with reviews comparing them to Pet Shop Boys, My Bloody Valentine and Cocteau Twins."

"In an interview on their fansite, they cite influences such as Charles Aznavour, Saint Etienne, Broadcast, Frank Sinatra, Joy Division, Pet Shop Boys, Chet Baker, Fennesz, Nick Drake, Kevin Rowland, Prefab Sprout, Paddy McAloon, Junior Boys, Orange Juice, Kraftwerk, Neu!, Jonathan Richman, The Avalanches and The Pale Fountains."



"Words fail me all the time
I don’t even feel like talking
still I go on and on
I’m dying here and you keep walking

why are you asking me this?
can’t you see I’m trying?
I don’t like it like this
no I think I’m dying

I can’t calm down at all
panic is what panic feels like
can’t we just stay silent?
speaking now seems far too violent

why are you asking me this?
can’t you see I’m trying?
I don’t like it like this
no I think I’m dying"




No comments:

Post a Comment