Thursday, April 10, 2014

Week One Hundred and One: Rainy Day Songs - Willie Nelson - "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" - Red Headed Stranger

I should start off by saying that this is not a Willie Nelson original. In fact, Wikipedia can fill you in on the details below:

"'Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain' is a song written by songwriter Fred Rose. Originally performed by Roy Acuff, the song was later recorded by Willie Nelson as part of his 1975 album Red Headed Stranger. Both the song and album would become iconic in country music history, and jump start Nelson's success as a singer and recording artist. (He had thus far been primarily successful as a songwriter for other artists.)"

At my grandmother's funeral, my mother shared with me that this was one of my grandmother's favorite songs. I had no idea...but it's interesting what you learn about people once they are no longer with you. So I don't want to wait for my passing for someone to share with you that my favorite Willie Nelson song is actually a collaboration with Merle Haggard called "Pancho and Lefty"... not really sure why... I just really like it... maybe it reminds me of playing cops and robbers/cowboys and Indians with my brother when I was younger...my mom would call him Pancho Villa, which means that I naturally had to then be Lefty!!! :-)



In the twilight glow I see her
Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain.
As we kissed good-bye and parted,
I knew we'd never meet again.

Love is like a dying ember.
Where only memories remain.
Through the ages I'll remember-
Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain.

Now my hair has turned to silver.
All my life I've loved in vain.
I can see her star in heaven.
Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain.

Someday when we meet up yonder,
We'll stroll hand in hand again.
In a land that knows no parting-
Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain.




No comments:

Post a Comment