Monday, April 28, 2014

Week One Hundred and Four: Marie Antoinette Soundtrack - Siouxsie & the Banshees - "Hong Kong Garden (With Strings Intro)" - Soundtrack

I know that I have already made mention of a few songs off the Marie Antoinette Soundtrack --- like "Ceremony" (New Order), "Kings of the Wild Frontier" (Adam Ant), and "I Want Candy", "Aphrodisiac" and "Fools Rush In" (Bow Wow Wow) --- but there are so many additional songs on that soundtrack that are phenomenal, and I have chosen to cover those for you this week


/\/\@/\/\@/\/\@/\/\@/\/\@/\/\@/\/\@/\/\@/\/\@

By now, you should know of my complete and total adoration of the band, Siouxsie & the Banshees. However, I will share with you that "Hong Kong Garden" was never one of my favorite songs by them...until I heard today's version with the strings added as part of the intro for the film, Marie Antoinette.

Over the course of this week, I will attempt to offer you a clip of the scene where the track is playing in the film, as well as the complete version of each song.

However, before I get to the videos, I do have two little treats for you today. The first one is a scan of a book that I picked up about three weeks ago at Half Price Books called Entranced: The Siouxsie & the Banshees Story. I've been meaning to order this one for ages, and there it was sitting on the shelf for under $10.00:



The second treat is a link to another episode of The Moron-a-thon that I co-hosted with Darlington, where we covered Adam Ant's extensive musical career. In fact, I made mention of "Kings of the Wild Frontier" appearing in this film, and it's actually the very scene that is pictured on the soundtrack cover above. Since I gave you a YouTube clip of a live performance the first time I mentioned the song on my blog, I will include the actual video for you today (below the lyrics):






Harmful elements in the air
symbols clashing everywhere
Reaps the fields of rice and reeds
while the population feeds

Junk floats on polluted water
an old custom to sell your daughter
Would you like number 23?
Leave your yens on the counter please
Hong Kong Garden

Tourists swarm to see your face
Confuscius has a puzzling grace
Disoriented you enter in
unleashing scent of wild jasmine

Slanted eyes meet a new sunrise
a race of bodies small in size
Chicken Chow Mein and Chop Suey
Hong Kong Garden takeaway
Hong Kong Garden





No comments:

Post a Comment