Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Week One Hundred and Four: Marie Antoinette Soundtrack - The Strokes - "What Ever Happened?" - Soundtrack

I know that I have already made mention of a few songs off the Marie Antoinette Soundtrack --- like "Ceremony" (New Order), "Kings of the Wild Frontier" (Adam Ant), and "I Want Candy", "Aphrodisiac" and "Fools Rush In" (Bow Wow Wow) --- but there are so many additional songs on that soundtrack that are phenomenal, and I have chosen to cover those for you this week


/\/\@/\/\@/\/\@/\/\@/\/\@/\/\@/\/\@/\/\@/\/\@

The Strokes were a band whose name I heard quite frequently in the media, but I honestly never bothered to check out their music until they appeared on this soundtrack. What a huge mistake, on my part, because they have some amazing tracks. In addition to "What Ever Happened?", I am also going to include two of my other favorites called "Reptilia" and "Someday"...but please take the time to check out some of their other tracks because you would be doing yourself a disservice if you stop at only these three songs and explore this band no more.

Here's a little bit of trivia for you: The lead singer, Julian, pays tribute to Tennessee Williams, the playwright, in the lyrics for "What Ever Happened?", when he sings: "Oh Tennessee, what did you write?" And the drummer, Fabrizio Moretti, dated both Drew Barrymore and Kristen Wiig, two of my favorite actresses, who also happen to be very close friends!!!

And yes, I am aware that I have kind of already previously mentioned today's song, as well, but I actually mentioned the cover that the band, Ash, did of today's song and did not pay The Strokes their full dues...




I want to be forgotten,
and I don't want to be reminded.
You say "please don't make this harder."
No, I won't yet.

I wanna be beside her.
She wanna be admired.
You say "please don't make this harder."
No, I won't yet.

Oh dear, is it really all true?
Did they offend us and they want it to sound new?
Top ten ideas for countdown shows...
Whose culture is this and does anybody know?
I wait and tell myself "life ain't chess,"
But no one comes in and yes, you're alone...

You don't miss me, I know.

Oh Tennessee, what did you write?
I come together in the middle of the night.
Oh that's an ending that I can't write, 'cause
I've got you to let me down.

I want to be forgotten,
and I don't want to be reminded.
You say "please don't make this harder."
No, I won't yet.

I want to be beside her.
She wanna be admired.
You say "please don't make this harder."
No, I won't yet...



No comments:

Post a Comment