Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Week Thirty-Seven: Love & Rockets - "Yin and Yang (The Flowerpot Man)" - Express

Okay, so I'll be the first to admit that this song is a little bit weird - ("alcohol is your yoga baby" --- what???), and the video is equally bizarre, especially with the infamous "Bubblemen" making appearances throughout... however, I cannot help but be completely energized when I hear it! Every time I watch the video, I also cannot help but think about how cramped their arms must have gotten from all of that super-quick guitar strumming and drum playing, as well!!!

When I used to frequent The Church at The Lizard Lounge in the late '90s, one of the DJs would sometimes spin this song in the wee hours of the morning. As you can imagine, it was pretty much a floor-clearing tune, especially since it doesn't have the most danceable beat, but you would always have a handful of Love & Rockets fanatics (me included) doing their best to shake it down to this song!!!

Today, I'm including my ticket stub for the 1996 show at Trees. That show was phenomenal... and The Dandy Warhols opened for them. I managed to get up so close to the stage that I was afraid I was going to get crushed at certain points, but it was sooooooo worth it!!! Wowzer --- I'm also utterly shocked that I only paid $12 to see them play live... what a bargain...






Under the wheel of the running train
Like a dog in the pouring rain
Diamond days cut and dry
But beauty in the hurricane's eye
Under fire under thumb
No golden hand no golden sun
Diamond days cut and dry
But beauty in the hurricane's eye
Chorus:
Beauty beauty beauty beautiful
Beauty beauty beauty beautiful
Alcohol is your yoga baby
Gonna call out my name
Then I'm gonna rain
All over you
All over you
Diamond days cut and dry
But beauty in the hurricane's eye
(chorus x2)


And here's another well-known hit... "Ball of Confusion"...





No comments:

Post a Comment