Monday, January 21, 2013

Week Thirty-Eight: Cause & Effect - "Another Minute" - Another Minute

If you have been keeping up with this blog, then you have probably been able to use your deductive reasoning skills to determine that I spent a substantial portion of my life in the equivalent of what I can only assume is Hell with an incredibly abusive ex-boyfriend. However, just to give you a prime example of what a complete douche-nozzle and prick he really was, I will tell you the story of this song. 

Before I met him, I was familiar with Cause & Effect from hearing them on The EDGE. However, they often played their more popular tunes, “You Think You Know Her” and “It's Over Now”; so I was not as familiar with “Another Minute”, but I had at least heard it a couple of times.

After my ex and I broke up, he eventually started dating another girl, who just so happened to be the best friend of the guy that I was dating at the time. Imagine that!?!?!? So he moved in with her a few weeks later, because that is his m.o. (modus operandi or method of operation - for those of you not familiar with serial killer books/programs), and he began the process of destroying her life.

So, at some point, he decided to use her CDs to make me a mixed tape to try to win me back. Apparently while he was in the process of making the tape, she even asked him if he intended to give it to me. Of course, he vehemently denied that those were his intentions.

She and I ended up being good friends many, many years after she dated/lived with him. She asked me one day if he did, indeed, give me that mixed tape and then proceeded to tell me how he used one of her blank cassettes and her CDs to make it. I told her that I would have happily returned it to her if I had not enjoyed every second I spent destroying it in a therapy session.

Fortunately, there is no one song that reminds me of this jack*ss ex because he and I shared such close taste in music from the very beginning, and much of what was discovered during the relationship was discovered simultaneously; so that prevented me from having to rid myself of my entire music collection, like I had to rid myself of many other items, in order to symbolically rid myself of him; I do, however, remember that the mixed tape began with this song... and please don't hold his idiotic behavior against this band or this song... because they are a really good band, and this is a really good song!!!


Let's not wait another minute
Would you lie to me
And tell me that it isn't true
Take the life from me
With the special little things you do
Once again I feel it's time to get
Down and kneel time to pray
Once more that you'll give me
What I came here for
Let's not wait another minute
This is love with nothing in it
Let me come and kneel before you
It's time to be what we want to be
Could you talk to me
And tell me what I want to hear
Deep inside of me
Is a special little thing called fear
Take me in your arms don't tell me
It's a false alarm
Give me just once more
The act that both of us came here for
Let's not wait another minute
This is love with nothing in it
Let me come and kneel before you
It's time to be what we want to be

No comments:

Post a Comment