Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Week Thirty-Five: Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - "So in Love" - The Best of OMD

This song reminds me of every schoolgirl crush I ever had. When I was younger, I would fall in love so easily. I had a new crush or a different love interest almost weekly!!! 

I would constantly be consulting my Magic 8 Ball about my new crush/love interest's feelings towards me - (Nevermind actually going up and asking him, right? Oh heavens, no, that would have been way too embarrassing!!!) And wait, why in the world did my parents even let me own a Magic 8 Ball??? We were Catholic --- shouldn't I have been praying about it to some Patron Saint of Young Girls With All-Consuming Crushes or something of that nature, instead of consulting pagan oracles?!?!?! 

And I just returned from seeing The Perks of Being a Wallflower for the second time - it's at the dollar theater now, so you have no excuse not to see it if you haven't already - and I noticed that Charlie had a Magic 8 Ball sitting next to his bed --- must be a crazy person thing!!! :-D

I would also read all the Teen magazine articles about what a guy's actions "really meant", and I would take every quiz to find out who was my "perfect guy" or what was my "perfect date".

It turns out that all that Magic 8 Ball consulting and girly magazine reading taught me precious little because I have been so unlucky in love. However, I would like to consider myself to be a bit more wise these days when selecting love interests... but this song still puts a smile on my face when I think about all those silly boys upon whom I spent countless hours doting!!!



Talk to me, don’t lie to me 
Save your breath
Don’t look at me, don’t smile at me
Just close your eyes
I was so impressed by you
I was running blind
I would fall for every trick
Every twist of mind

Heaven is cold
Without any soul
It’s hard to believe
I was so in love with you

Don’t say your prayers, don’t build your hopes
Just walk away
Don’t phone me up, don’t call around
Don’t waste your time
You were so in awe of me
You were so divine
You would do just anything
To still be mine

Heaven is cold
Without any soul
It’s hard to believe
I was so in love with you

All the things you said to me
I was so obsessed
You were always talking talking
God I did my best

Heaven is cold
Without any soul
It’s hard to believe
I was so in love with you


No comments:

Post a Comment